Four Reasons why students should consider dual enrollment

Hannah+Luck

Hannah Luck

Hannah Luck

Hannah Luck, Archives Editor

As juniors and seniors approach the end of the school year, thoughts about college, SAT, and AP testing fill their minds. Although these concepts appear intimidating, most disregard the best option of them all; dual enrollment, a way to earn both college and high school credit simultaneously, remains an option most students neglect. It provides numerous benefits such as freedom to choose class times and meet days, college and high school credit for free, and amenities such as university clubs and recreational facilities. Overall the program aids in providing quality education at little to no cost.

In terms of flexibility, dual enrollment, like any institution or university allows students to choose their classes meeting the 12 credit hour mark. Students may choose the number of days, meeting time, and location of each individual class, as opposed to an eight a.m. to three p.m. mentality. Dual enrollment’s flexibility allows for a balance between school and social activities giving students a valuable education as well as time to become acquainted with new friends made on campus.

Another benefit of dual enrollment exists within the numerous free clubs and recreational facilities accessible to both dual enrollment and regular students. Kennesaw State University (KSU) for example gives students to dozens of practice fields,  student centers, and recreational wellness centers. Additionally, KSU provides several amenities dedicated to theatre and the arts in addition to their human resources programs. These extracurricular activities allow new students to get a feel for campus life as well as meet new friends along the way.

“Dual enrollment is an absolute gift. It allows students to get high school and college credit as well as pushes them forward to graduate early from their chosen institution. It focuses on giving students skills in time management a preview of college life on campus. It’s definitely a good alternative especially during these unprecedented times, ” junior Tiffani Elliott said.

On the academic side of things, dual enrollment allows high school students to acquire college credit and high school credit simultaneously. Whether the student completes an entire school year or half of each semester, with dual enrollment’s 30-hour funding cap students take their classes for free. In addition, students gain the opportunity to explore the requirements of their anticipated major and declare their major and chosen field. 

In a three-year study, funded by The James Irvine Foundation, researchers examined the outcomes of almost 3,000 students participating in eight dual enrollment programs across California. Sixty percent of participants came up as students of color, forty percent came from non-English speaking homes, and one-third of student’s parents possessed no prior college experience. The dual-enrolled students graduated high school with more college credits as well as a familiarity with campus life.

“Dual enrollment really allows students to grow in their academic career. From choosing designated times and meeting days for classes to studying difficult course material, dual enrollment is in itself a Bootcamp for college,” Elliott said.

All in all, dual enrollment supplies students with numerous benefits helping both their academic and social lives. From government-funded classes to the freedom to choose when and where a class occurs, students gain adequate insight into the daily life of an average college student. As the world continues to return to normal, holding on to education will help ease tensions and make progress during these trying times.