Reggie Givhan announces commitment to New Mexico

Givhan%E2%80%99s+recruitment+took+a+large+leap+this+year+in+comparison+to+his+2020+season.+Other+than+the+official+offers+Givhan+collected%2C+he+also+attracted+interest+from+Georgia+Southern%2C+Arkansas+State%2C+and+Austin+Peay.+Running+routes+next+to+two+other+four-star+wide+receivers+in+De%E2%80%99Nylon+Morrissette+and+Sam+Mbake%2C+Givhan+proved+his+worth+in+several+situations.+Tied+14-14+against+the+Walton+Raiders%2C+Givhan+took+a+kickoff+75-yards+for+a+touchdown+which+transpired+a+clinic+of+offensive+scores+before+the+first+half+expired.+Various+coaches+and+players+from+around+the+program+consistently+praise+his+resilience+and+leadership+throughout+the+year.+

Saucy Marr and Josie Films

Givhan’s recruitment took a large leap this year in comparison to his 2020 season. Other than the official offers Givhan collected, he also attracted interest from Georgia Southern, Arkansas State, and Austin Peay. Running routes next to two other four-star wide receivers in De’Nylon Morrissette and Sam Mbake, Givhan proved his worth in several situations. Tied 14-14 against the Walton Raiders, Givhan took a kickoff 75-yards for a touchdown which transpired a clinic of offensive scores before the first half expired. Various coaches and players from around the program consistently praise his resilience and leadership throughout the year.

Peyton Stack, Co-Copy Editor

Senior slot receiver and kick returner Reggie Givhan announced his commitment to the University of New Mexico to fulfill his dreams of playing Division 1 (D1) college football on November 8. Givhan, who transferred to NC for the 2021 season, stands as a core part of the 20th nationally ranked Warrior football team that earned the program’s second straight region championship. Givhan, a five-foot ten-inch 170-pound athlete, chose New Mexico over several other offers including Mercer, Tennessee Tech, and Washburn.

“What made me choose New Mexico is the relationship I formed with the coaches and how they have been treating me. I can go in there and be a first-year starter. Another appealing thing is it’s closer to my mom so she can come and watch my games,” Givhan said.  

Over the course of the 2021 season, Givhan became a reliable source for the NC offense despite lining up next to a multitude of other D1 receivers. Over the course of 10 games, Givhan collected 576 receiving yards on 48 receptions and four touchdowns prior to Friday’s game against Camden County. Givhan also remains an electric kick and punt returner for the Warriors’ special team unit as he’s runback multiple kicks for touchdowns. Givhan even took handoffs at the running back position from time to time and threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Sam Mbake in the first round of the 7A state playoffs. From a recruiting aspect, Givhan holds all the intangible assets that coaches search for.

“My commitment and the whole recruiting experience make me feel like I’m doing something for real and that I’m making a difference in the world. It really makes me want to work even more because of how underrated I am. The pressure to succeed was never there, I just always went out there and had fun,” Givhan said. 

Givhan played at Hillgrove high school before transferring to NC for the 2021 season and put a tremendous amount of work into his game during the offseason. Givhan trains under a locally well-known performance trainer, Quay Mack, also known as RouteMaster, who instructs several other players on NC’s squad. Givhan’s hard work during the summer became most notable in the first game of the season versus the Buford Wolves. Despite the loss, Givhan brought in 115 receiving yards on nine receptions and a pair of electrifying punt returns. Ever since that break performance and consistent production throughout the season, Givhan’s recruiting steadily increases as more coaches discover his underrated talent.

“If I could go back, I would tell myself to trust the process and don’t give up because there were plenty of times when I wanted to give up. [I couldn’t have done it without the] people who helped me get to where I am today are – Coach Quay, Coach Hump, Coach Travis, Coach Ivan, Coach Ron, Coach Rice, Coach David, and plenty more but that’s just a handful to name a few,” Givhan said. 

The New Mexico Lobos lie in Albuquerque, New Mexico and belong to the Mountain West Conference. Currently, the Lobos hold a 3-7 record but faced multiple tough teams throughout the regular season, including the number eleven ranked Texas A&M Aggies. A core reason Givhan chose the Lobos over other schools came down to the possibility of receiving notable playtime as a freshman. If this year’s season at NC gives any indication, Givhan will continue to prove any doubters wrong as he remains humble with his closest friends and family. 

Givhan plans to visit the University of New Mexico during the second week of December. As the time winds down on the 2021 high school football season, Givhan and the Warriors set their sights on one last goal: a state championship. 

“In 5 years, I will see myself in the [National Football] league because I believe I am league bound,” Givhan said.