Coffee and Coworking: a creative solution to increase productivity

Amber Roldan

Kennesaw locals enjoy the one-of-a-kind environment cultivated at Kennesaw Coffee Company and Desktop Coworking Community. Housed under the same roof, the two complementary businesses allow Kennesaw residents to escape the distractions of everyday life to increase productivity and enjoy a cup of coffee. “I love that Desktop Coworking Community provides a space to work from home away from home,” Kennesaw Mountain senior Daniela Binns said.

Amber Roldan, Editor-in-Chief

The pleasant aroma of freshly brewed coffee greets customers at the doors of Kennesaw Coffee Company. The unique coffee shop and coworking community reside on the corner of Jiles and Main Street. Unlike the competing mainstream coffee shops scattered around Kennesaw where purchasing a cup of coffee quickly becomes impersonal, Kennesaw Coffee Company prides itself on building and strengthening relationships throughout Kennesaw’s community. Each cup of coffee baristas exchange comes with a friendly smile. 

With 10,000 square feet of comfortable seating and quiet workspace, Kennesaw Coffee Company juxtaposes the importance of caffeinating with productivity. The versatile building houses two complementary businesses: Desktop Coworking Community and Kennesaw Coffee Company. Both owned by humble owner Jon Spellman, the creative business endeavor allows entrepreneurs, businessmen and women to work in a professional environment outside of the house. When arriving at Desktop Coworking Community, participants can grab a cup of coffee before making their way to their office to start their day. 

Over the past several years, the concept of “Coworking” hit the ground running and communities nationwide introduced the idea of escaping one’s normal environment to complete work in a collaborative environment. While the concept of working from home may seem convenient, the practice can quickly create chaos with a multitude of at-home distractions. Working over the sound of a screaming baby or barking dog inevitably mitigates productivity and makes it hard to focus. Joining a coworking community allows participating members to escape hectic home environments to successfully increase output. 

In an effort to appease all types of workers hoping to rent space at Desktop Coworking Community, the esteemed company offers three flexible opportunities to work from Desktop. Available offices, meeting rooms and an open coworking space meet the needs of all interested in embarking on the beginning of their coworking journey. In collaboration with Kennesaw Coffee Company, memberships include access to premium brewed coffee.

After an unprecedented pandemic emerged in early 2020, adults across the nation caught a glimpse of working from home. Numerous businesses still ask employees to work from home, Desktop Coworking Community provides the perfect opportunity for remote workers to come into Desktop to establish a daily routine outside of the home.

“As things start to return to normal, the coworking side of our business is gaining a lot of business from people who need work remotely but don’t want to stay at home. Our offices and meeting rooms let people come in avoid the distractions they encounter at home. Our space provides a really nice, quiet environment. Even people who are used to working from home are finding their way to us, I think people love the merging of the two companies,” Spellman said.

Offering a full breakfast and lunch menu in addition to a lengthy list of extravagant lattes and teas, Kennesaw Coffee Company’s extensive menu caters to customers’ cravings. Inclusive of the needs of their gluten free customers, Kennesaw Coffee Company serves a selection of bagels and breakfast until 11:30 am daily. Beginning once the clock strikes 11:30 am, the company offers customers a variety of sandwiches and wraps for lunch. Pairing a breakfast or lunch sandwich with a delicious cup of coffee allows customers to acquire the energy needed to jump-start their day.

Along with office space and conference rooms, Kennesaw Coffee Company displays an array of tables where customers can sip coffee while completing work or simply share a meal and converse with a friend. The delicious coffee and welcoming environment create the perfect opportunity for students to catch up on work while receiving their daily dose of caffeine. Only four minutes away from NC, Kennesaw Coffee Company attracts numerous students and teachers before and after school. Students can utilize coffee shop seating and study space after school and over the weekend to escape the confinement of their bedrooms and complete homework assignments.

“We have tried to cater a lot of what we do around students. We obviously have a lot of meetings in our coworking space and meeting rooms, but about a year ago we developed a few cubes as a study hall for students because the coffee shop can get loud. We love offering student and teacher discounts, and I would say at least 25%, if not more of our customers are students,” general manager Katie Sparks said.

The inviting community cultivated by Kennesaw Coffee Company and Desktop Coworking Community emphasizes the importance of relationships. Baristas love conversing with customers and easily memorize the regular orders of everyday customers. Truly an international effort, the delicious coffee served at Kennesaw Coffee Company comes from Nicaragua. The sustained relationships on both international and local levels prove the dedication behind the scenes at both the Desktop coworking community and Kennesaw Coffee Company.

“By doing what we do we get to help people connect with their community and with each other. Human relationships are such an important part of life and I love getting to be a part of that,” Spellman said.

Whether hoping to start working from Desktop Coworking Community or grabbing a quick pick me up from Kennesaw Coffee Company, the collaborative business will satisfy the needs of all who walk through the doors.