NC athletics boasts five more college signees

Five different student-athletes signed to continue their career at the collegiate level (from right to left): Alex Acosta, Derek Brooks, Maddie Diaz, Kenna Armitage, and Jaxon Bampfield. Each athlete took pictures and celebrated their signing day with their families, friends, teammates, and teachers surrounding them. As the spring semester winds down towards graduation, these athletes can say they left it all out on the field.

NC Athletics

Peyton Stack, Copy Editor

Students, families, teammates and staff members shuffled into the basketball arena on Wednesday, April 13 at 7:40 in the morning to witness and celebrate five different athletes signing their National Letters of Intent (NLI). With three male athletes and two female athletes affirming their commitments to play at the next level, much excitement filled the open air. Athletic Director Matt Williams introduced the signing ceremony by thanking the crowd for the largest signing day attendance ever and congratulated each athlete on taking the next step in their careers. He then turned it over to each respective coach, as each talked about their players’ achievements and personalities. Alex Acosta (Basketball), Maddie Diaz (Lacrosse), Derek Brooks (Baseball), Jaxon Bampfield (Lacrosse) and Kenna Armitage (Soccer) all inked their decisions and etched their name into the Warrior history books.

Alex Acosta

Acosta signed to play collegiate basketball at Washington and Jefferson College in Pennsylvania. The six-foot-six magnet student served as the senior captain of the 2021-2022 basketball team, collecting all-county honors this season. After seeing playing time on varsity as a mere freshman, Acosta worked his way up each year and became the centerpiece of this past year’s team. Head coach Terry Gorsuch praised Acosta for his leadership, work ethic and tenacity as a rebounder, even cracking a joke about the younger players taking after him. In addition to his success on the court, Acosta held the position of Editor-In-Chief of NC’s yearbook and took home the title of Prom King in March of this year. 

Maddie Diaz

Diaz affirmed her commitment to play collegiate lacrosse at Georgetown College in Kentucky. The four-year varsity player operates at the midfielder position and collected 59 goals thus far in the season. Diaz holds her sights on breaking the all-time scoring record in one season at NC. Head coach Kathy Ezzell named Diaz the captain of the girls’ lacrosse team for the 2022 season as they collected wins over powerhouse programs like Etowah high school. In addition, Ezzell commented on Diaz’s passion, attitude and drive for the sport, as the entire Lady Warrior lacrosse team nodded in agreement. Diaz competes on her sister’s competitive travel team and even played the sport over in Italy for a short stint. 

“I’m super excited to play college lacrosse at Georgetown. My time here at NC has been nothing short of amazing and I will treasure the bonds I’ve made with my teammates and coaches. It’s truly a bitter-sweet feeling that this is all coming to an end but I’m glad to have my family and team by my side,” Diaz said. 

Derek Brooks

Brooks continued his athletic career by signing to play collegiate baseball at Roanoke College in Virginia. The second-year varsity player stands as the team’s most reliable pitcher and also sees action at third base. Brooks has pitched 44 2/3 innings this season, collecting 30 strikeouts and 11 BBs. So far, Brooks holds a 5-0 record on the year with a 3.29 ERA, as he leads the state-ranked Warriors into the postseason. Head coach Tom Callahan spoke about Brooks’ commitment and hard work in such a short time span, praising him for his dedication to the program. 

Jaxon Bampfield

Bampfield signed his NLI to play at Norwich University in Vermont next fall. Bampfield holds down the long stick midfielder position and leads the team in caused turnovers and ground balls. Bampfield built a competitive reputation as he played significant roles on the NC lacrosse team over the past years. Head coach Kyle

Van Kauwenberg told those in attendance that Bampfield bleeds the qualities of an effective leader and especially recognized the work he put in inside the weight room. 

Kenna Armitage

Armitage signed her NLI to play soccer at Columbus State University in Georgia next fall. Armitage occupied center back and midfield positions for the varsity Lady Warrior soccer team and held the title of team captain for three. Armitage received a first-team all-region nomination for the 2022 season along with a three-time selection on the South-East All-American team. Armitage also studies in the Magnet program and received honors as a three-time scholar-athlete over the years. Head coach Justin Buckles highlighted Armitage’s passion for the sport and the energy she brings to each and every game. 

The NC athletic program proudly boasts these senior student-athletes as the leaders of their respective teams and thanks each one for the time they gave to their sport. The class of 2022 left their mark behind on the next generation of Warriors as they venture onto bigger and better adventures.