Jaxon Bampfield: from Warrior to Cadet

Giovanna Talone

Jaxon Bampfield verbally committed to Norwich University through Instagram on March 1st. The senior played all four years of high school on the lacrosse team and a previous year in eighth grade. His greatest inspiration, NC lacrosse alumni Walker Goodsite, pushed and inspired Bampfield to play his best every day. Bampfield appreciates his coaches, parents, family and friends for supporting him throughout his lacrosse career at NC.

Giovanna Talone, Reporter

Senior long-stick midfielder Jaxon Bampfield will migrate after graduation to Northfield, Vermont to play division III lacrosse at Norwich University.  Bampfield played four years on NC’s lacrosse team, with three of those years spent on varsity. He received offers to Wingate (Division II), Lake Erie (Division II), amongst other Division III schools, but overall knew his future lies at Norwich. He thanks all his supporters, and all the colleges he received offers from.

“Norwich offers an amazing cybersecurity program. They have a good lacrosse team and just great people. I feel excited about the change of scenery and view, but I’ll always miss Georgia. I’m just thankful for my parents for getting me everywhere and paying for everything. My parents and my girlfriend are my biggest supporters and have been at every single game and tournament supporting me through it all,” Bampfield said.

Norwich University’s 2021 men’s lacrosse team entered in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) championship game for the third time. The Cadets won two GNAC titles from previous years. Impressed by the successful team, Bampfield remains excited to start the season at a higher level after playing on high-level club lacrosse teams for five years.

Bampfield started playing lacrosse in eighth grade and continued his journey throughout all four years of high school. Bampfield played for club teams such as FCA, 3d Lacrosse, Thunder LB3 and Crossfire HSA national team. New teams allowed him to see lacrosse from a different point of view. His performance improved from exposure to different coaches and players.

Norwich University, the oldest private military college, prepares students for military and government-affiliated careers. Bampfield will play lacrosse at a college level and if able to play at a professional level, then he will pursue a career in lacrosse after graduation. If not, he wishes to work for the Air Force either in cybersecurity or flying F-35 planes after his time at Norwich.

Bampfield will miss his family and friends but keeps a positive mindset about the next years spent away. Bampfield’s family and friends feel sad seeing him leave Georgia but remain proud of the accomplishments he has made. Despite the sadness, they can not wait to see Bampfield’s future in Vermont.

“We are beyond excited for Jaxon to continue his Academic and Athletic career at Norwich University. His focus on Cyber Security and Service in the Military amounts to his growth and maturity these past few years. His tenacity and commitment to the sport of lacrosse, along with the help of his coaches and teammates will stay with him forever,” Banpfield’s mother Amy Bampfield said.