Tattoos make a mark on employment

Getty Images

Consistently frowned upon in society, tattoos allow people to express themselves in unimaginable ways. Traditionally, companies do not hire employees with tattoo sleeves, as employees acknowledge them as unprofessional. Fortunately, newer generations continue to loosen this taboo ideology and embrace their style, as well as allow others to.

Erinn Gardner, Editor in Chief

Sometimes labeled as unprofessional and unbecoming, tattoos continue to prevent employment among individuals. Society publicly fosters the idea that people with tattoos experience difficulty in securing jobs, and the employer will certainly view them in a different light. However, tattoos simply serve as a form of creativity and individualism, which does not determine one’s capability to perform a task. For several, they do not feel themselves without creative symbols, verbiage and vibrancy inked onto their skin

At one point or another, traditional Americans tell their children to refrain from putting visible tattoos on their bodies, or they will ultimately face consequences. Fortunately, new generations of managers, employees, parents and teachers stand open to the idea of hiring those with overt tattoos. Older generations such as Generation X and Baby Boomers retire by the day, making this freedom of expression a simpler process. 

“I think part of it is the image like if you have a lot of tattoos, people make a judgment about the kind of person you are. I think a lot of it is antiquated, so I don’t think a lot of people of your generation really think that, but people of our parent’s generation automatically think of prison. I don’t think I’ve faced adversity, but for interviews, I always go in with long sleeves because I’m afraid that if they get that read from me, then they’re not going to even consider me for a job,” English teacher Laura Sunderland said. 

Employers frequently argue that tattoos appear unprofessional because the public typically associates them with prison or gangs. This generalization results in these companies holding concern for their image. However, allowing tattoos in the workplace comes with a multitude of advantages that society constantly overlooks. They can heavily inspire creativity within a brand or company, as well as promote diversity in the workspace. Because tattoos carry a variety of symbolic meanings, they can tell an unsung story. Companies should unquestionably not tolerate hate symbols, as they can possibly generate uncomfortable vibrations in a work environment. With that said, positive and meaningful marks do not impact the quality of one’s ability to carry out tasks. 

“Some of my tattoos mean something, and others are just positive symbols. I don’t think tattoos should affect employment because they don’t define a person unless they want them to, and it doesn’t affect other people in any way. If I’m not hired because of my tattoos, that’s on them because I’m a hard worker and it’s just my way of expressing myself,” senior Karisma Gause said. 

Getty Images

Employers should not second guess the capabilities of their employees, as it stifles their personality and strips a key component in their lives. Upcoming generations can likely avoid this frowned-upon subject, but will possibly face discrimination in outdated companies.

“I just assume that my teaching ability speaks for itself, my personality speaks for itself, and I make good relationships with my students. I try to be my most authentic self, I don’t try to change my personality, and tattoos are a part of that for me. So if I were to be spoken to about it, I would point to my successes as a teacher and have that speak for itself and show that people with tattoos actually can teach,” Sunderland said.