Decision day: class of ‘23 reveals their futures

Courtesy of Cleo Johnson

May 1 serves as a monumental day for all seniors nationwide, as they make a commitment that affects their futures for the rest of their lives. Not only do students officially enroll in their university of choice on decision day, but they receive the privilege of finding out where their classmates will spend the next four years.

Erinn Gardner, Editor in Chief

Today marks the most nerve-wracking, yet exhilarating day for seniors across the board: decision day. May 1, all students in the nation must decide where they wish to continue their secondary education, as well as find out where their fellow peers will matriculate. Since their junior year of high school, seniors have prepared for the deadline through their dedication, blood, sweat and tears. 

A handful of students who applied early action and early decision heard back from colleges between November and February, enabling them to make their decisions earlier than the majority. However, regular decision applicants received status updates from colleges between March and April, leaving students just enough time to consider their options and commit by May 1. While a bulk of students decided and announced which college they wanted to attend prior to May 1, a multitude of people do not reveal their post-high school plans until the special date, which contributes to the excitement.

“I did commit to the University of Georgia (UGA) and I am extremely happy with my decision. I was on the fence between UGA and Georgia Tech. Even though Tech is technically the better school, UGA was better for my major which is Extensive Bio Research and I think I’ll have a lot more fun. I already know where most of my friends are going, but I think it’ll be so cool to see where kids I haven’t talked to in years announce where they’re going because at the end of the day, I did grow up with them,” magnet senior Carson Walker said. 

To recognize their last hurrah, NC held a tailgate for seniors in the upper parking lot Friday, April 21. This thrilling and sentimental day allowed seniors to proudly represent their colleges with their favorite merchandise and school spirit, along with gold crowns to differentiate them from the general population. The class of 23’ celebrated each other at the tailgate with food and music and took pictures with fun props as they moved into the next chapter of their life. 

“I have committed to Kennesaw State University for a year and then to Vanderbilt. I wanted to go to Vanderbilt first, but it’s a little expensive right now, so I’m hoping to just test the waters and then transfer. I’m so excited to see what everyone’s going to be doing with the rest of their lives and I’m just happy for everybody regardless of what their decision is,” magnet senior Nick Hays said.