The Chant’s one-stop shop for scholarships

Valentina Gonzalez
Upperclassmen struggle to find scholarships for themselves, especially when attempting to find a scholarship around the application deadlines. While high schools provide college representative meetings to ensure their students know of their options, several students still find extra opportunities within scholarships. Several websites and resources exist for these students to find the perfect scholarship for them based on their cost and other circumstantial preferences and may help their college lives.

As college deadlines arise, high school juniors and seniors continue to seek scholarships that will improve their college lives. Websites such as College Board, Niche, College Raptor and Bold help students find scholarships that suit them best based on their standards for college or their desired careers.

“I’ve found about 66 scholarships so far and have applied to 29. I would recommend scholarships found on both Bold.org and the National Society for High School Scholars. Both have a wide range of well-funded scholarships and the websites are very well-made,” senior vice president Bianca Orfila-Molinet said.

Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship

The Coca-Cola Scholarship serves high school seniors who maintain a 3.0 GPA and plan to seek an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. This scholarship requires seniors to apply by the deadline of October 2, 2023, by 5 p.m. As long as applicants’ high school resumes include participating in significant impacts for their school, contributions to community service and obtaining leadership roles, they remain eligible for selection. This scholarship rewards 150 students with $20,000 each year toward college funds. So far the scholarship has granted over 6,000 scholars over $81 million.

SmithGroup Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Scholarship

With their deadline of October 29, 2023, the SmithGroup Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion scholarship serves applicants in their junior or senior year of high school and graduate students. These students must be of Black, Hispanic, Alaskan Native, American Indian, Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Islander descent. They must seek a bachelor’s or graduate’s degree in architecture, engineering, interior design, landscape architecture or planning. The scholarship requires a written essay and awards $6,000 to five students each year to offset their tuition costs at their current academic institution.

Joanne Pransky Celebration of Women in Robotics

The Joanne Pransky Celebration of Women in Robotics scholarship, funded by Women in Robotics, supports undergraduates and high school students by awarding $1,000 to three women each year. This scholarship aims to honor Joanne Pranksky, who was deemed the name of “the world’s first robot psychiatrist”. She continues to inspire numerous women who receive discouragement from joining the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) field of study. Anyone who identifies as a woman who wishes to work in robotics may apply for this scholarship with a short fiction story about the challenges or opportunities of robotics in the near future by the deadline of February 29, 2024.

Expand Your Horizons

The Expand Your Horizons scholarship awards $1,000 to a student of any education level whose Bold profile heavily demonstrates their interest in learning about other cultures and their desire to travel. This scholarship should suit a student who wants to take a gap year or a trip that will further their knowledge of a culture correlating to their desired field of study. The Expand Your Horizons deadline lands on April 28, 2024.

Dylan’s Journey Memorial Scholarship

The Dylan’s Journey Memorial scholarship supports one student each year with Neurofibromatosis (NF) or any other learning disability such as ADHD and Dyslexia. This scholarship honors Dylan Prosser, who learned of his diagnosis of NF at the age of four and passed October 2021 shortly after graduating college. High school students, undergraduates and graduates who wish to apply must create a Bold profile, submit a video or write an essay that explains their experience with their learning disability and the way it motivates them to further their education. This deadline lands on March 21, 2024, and awards $1,000 to the winner.

ALS Family Scholarship

The ALS Family scholarship awards five winners $2,000 each in support of families affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Any student affected by ALS in their family who wishes to pursue career enhancement through their education may apply for this scholarship by the deadline of November 20, 2023. As long as applicants with a Bold profile provide an explanation of how ALS affected their life and how the scholarship will affect their career path, they remain eligible for the scholarship.

“I think the scholarships that are most helpful to the average student are the lesser-known, local ones. I would absolutely say it’s easy to access specific scholarships for different careers. Most times, all it takes is a Google search to find a scholarship that fits a student’s interests,” Orfila-Molinet said.

Scholarships continue to help further students’ lives while taking on the journey of affording higher education. With new resources and websites, scholarships become easier to find so students can improve their high school to college timeline. 

View Comments (1)