Joines crowned ‘Most Positive Adaptive Sport Athlete in Cobb County’

Although+Joines%E2%80%99s+wheelchair+may+seem+like+a+disadvantage%2C+he+uses+it+as+a+special+weapon+to+navigate+across+the+court+and+push+his+way+past+opponents%2C+which+is+allowed+in+wheelchair+basketball.+

Courtesy of Mrs. Joines

Although Joines’s wheelchair may seem like a disadvantage, he uses it as a special weapon to navigate across the court and push his way past opponents, which is allowed in wheelchair basketball.

Sophia Mapua, Reporter

Through his compassion, determination, and enthusiasm, sophomore Joshua Joines exemplifies the qualities of a true Warrior. Joines recently received the title of the Most Positive Adaptive Sport Athlete in Cobb County, along with the Hope and Will Award from Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, a $500 check award.

Joines uses his arm strength to wheel himself towards the other side of the court. As a passionate person on and off the court, Joines utilizes his determination as a key to success.
Courtesy of Mrs. Joines

Success does not seem like a new concept for Joines. In 2013, he earned the title of MVP of the National Basketball Tournament, along with his team attaining victory of the championship. This year, as a part of the All Academic Team, he reached the national level.

With an impressive GPA of 4.2, Joines studies rigorous courses within NC’s Magnet program. Heavy reading and difficult tests accompany his favorite subject, AP World History, although the material proves engaging. In addition to his classes, Joines still maintains time for extracurricular activities. As a member of Peer Mediation, Joines meets with freshmen in homeroom and helps settle disputes. In the future, he hopes to study journalism and law and plans to go to college in Missouri or Illinois.

“Josh is unfailingly positive. He’s one of those kids who I knew I could count on to always do his work and to keep an optimistic mindset regardless of what was occurring in class in terms of the difficulty level,” said AP World History teacher Mrs. Galloway. “I don’t think he’s ever met a challenge that he’s never been up for. He’s very good natured and someone that I think everyone enjoyed working with.”

On top of his exemplary grades, Joines also excels in sports. For over five years, he  developed an attachment to basketball and track and field. With a competitive nature and a love for the outdoors, Joines speaks passionately about sports: “I love doing this because of my competitive nature. Being able to compete against people in any way is a lot of fun for me.”

Joines, born with spina bifida, a condition in which the spinal column fails to close all the way and causes nerve damage, never allows his disability to act as an obstacle. Although he may encounter some hindrances, he endures a positive attitude in everything he does.

Joines offers words of wisdom for other students enduring physical disabilities: “My favorite quote is, ‘The best pleasure in life is doing things others say you cannot do.’ I advise people with disabilities to keep fighting. Keep doing whatever you think you can do, and you’ll do it.”

Joines prepares to pass the ball to his teammates, hoping for victory.
Courtesy of Mrs. Joines