NC inducts outstanding past athletes into Athletics Hall of Fame

+The+four+alumni+inducted+into+the+North+Cobb+Athletic+Hall+of+Fame+were+%28from+left+to+right%29%3A+Skip+Shipp%2C+Sherri+Circle-Parker%2C+Joey+Davis%2C+and+Eric+Norwood.

Nadya Awino

The four alumni inducted into the North Cobb Athletic Hall of Fame were (from left to right): Skip Shipp, Sherri Circle-Parker, Joey Davis, and Eric Norwood.

Chloe Roberson, Reporter

NC announced the four outstanding individuals inducted into the NC Athletics Hall of Fame on Friday, October 2.

Reaching the achievement as an inductee into the Hall of Fame shows appreciation for the role that sport plays in contributing to the quality of NC sports programs.  

This year’s inductees include Eric Norwood, Skip Shipp, Sherri Circle Parker, and Joseph Davis. The first of the four athletes inducted into NC’s Hall of Fame, Joseph Davis, played baseball at NC until graduating in 2004. After graduation, Davis became an elite member of the Georgia Dugout Club. Following this membership, Davis spent four years at Armstrong State University in Savannah, GA. Davis then received a scholarship to Gordon College where he continued to play baseball. Davis, filled with enthusiasm stated, “I am proud to be chosen. I feel honored.”

The Athletic Hall of Fame has been a NC tradition for ten years. It recognizes North Cobb alumni with exceptional athletic abilities.
Nadya Awino

The second athlete inducted into the NC Hall of Fame, Skip Shipp started playing baseball at the tender age of 6. Discouraged by his then lack of skill , Shipp tried to take a break from baseball but his dad pushed him to endure one more year. That same year Shipp worked hard to improve and as a result Skipp played baseball all four of his years at NC. A few years after graduating in 94’, the Pittsburgh Pirates drafted Skipp Shipp. Subsequently, Shipp now works in a beautiful office as Executive Director of SwingAway Sports Products with a 20,000 sq ft training facility. Additional inductee Sherri Circle Parker graduated from NC in the class of 1983, winning the tennis state championship her senior year. Later she attended Jacksonville State University where her teammates voted her “most valuable player.” Parker won the distinction by making her team tennis champions in the girl’s doubles division.

Lastly, Eric Norwood played football for NC’s varsity squad as a standout defensive end. After Norwood’s graduation, he attended South Carolina as a member of the Gamecock football team. Later on, the Carolina Panthers drafted him with the 124th pick in the NFL draft. After a short season, Norwood transferred to the Canadian Football League, currently a member of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Eric Norwood graduated from NC in 2006, and went on to play for the Carolina Panthers. He currently plays defensive end for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
Nadya Awino

Following a special presentation in the media center, the inductees attended an awards dinner that provided a venue to induct and honor athletes with an official NC Hall of Fame plaque. As the day filled with tremendous excitement and recognition came to a close, the inductees made their way to NC’s football stadium to revisit memories forged years ago. At the end of the ceremony, staff, current students, and their family members publicly recognized them. The Class of 2015 inductees join an impressive list of Hall of Famers dating back to the inaugural class of 2006.