Magnet freshmen visit cultural landmarks

Kat Shambaugh

Tour guide Jaibala Raval speaks to NC students on the temple’s history, and explains the religious and cultural rules. The temple itself was finished in 2007 and serves the entire southeastern United States.

Taking a Friday off from their traditional work week, NC’s freshman AP Human Geography students traveled across the state on November 6, visiting a Hindu temple, an ethnic farmer’s market, and a mosque. The trip supplemented their learning of cultures and religions in the AP course.

Students left around 8:30 A.M. and visited three places: BAPS Swaminarayan Hindu Temple in Lilburn, the Buford Highway Farmer’s Market, and Al-Farooq Masjid mosque in Atlanta. Students toured both the temple and mosque, and stopped for lunch in Buford.

“The idea was that here we have all of these places in Atlanta that the students talk about, and see it, and we have students who participate in it, but we’ve never been there,” Magnet Leadership teacher and chaperone Jennifer Biddy said.

BAPS Swaminarayan Hindu Temple serves the entire southeast as a center for Hindu activities. The temple, officially called the Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, holds the title of the largest of its kind, outside of India and the tallest building in Lilburn. On a tour led by local Jaibala Raval, students followed religious norms by taking their shoes off, visiting the shrines, and watching an informational video on the mandir.

“I loved the temple, it was so beautiful and the carvings were so cool. Especially in the ceiling, every ceiling had a different carving done by hand. Even the lights could change inside the shrines, changing the ambience,” freshman Chloe Arnett said.

Lunch occurred at the Buford Highway Farmer’s Market, where choices included Mexican food like

Students buy ethnic drinks at the Buford Highway Farmer’s Market. Both drink and food options came from across the world, allowing students to experiment with new tastes.
Kat Shambaugh

empanadas, Dutch treats like crepes, and Chinese and Vietnamese fare.

After lunch, the students drove to the Al-Farooq Masjid mosque, near Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta. Boys and girls experienced the culture of the mosque as girls covered their heads with scarves and attended the service in different rooms. Students listened to one of the the mosque’s representatives and then attended their Friday service.

NC girls cover their heads with scarves before entering Al-Farooq Masjid mosque, providing for the cultural norms of the place.
Kat Shambaugh

“I felt a little out of place at the mosque and in the service, but I had never seen that before so that was really interesting,” freshman Madigan Hargrove said.

As the first trip of its kind for NC Magnet students, the cultural expose allowed them to experience new ways of life in a valuable, educational environment.

“It was really cool and beautiful to see all of the culture and their religions, and I’m so happy I got to come on this trip,” freshman Hope Kutsche said.