Varsity Lady Warrior volleyball team outshines competition against Brookwood

Nneoma Igwedibie

Senior Simone Maxwell, sophomore Shannon Callan, and Sophomore Maddy Barfield practice volleying for their upcoming matches.

Tyler Sesan, Features editor

Opening the 2014-15 season with a win, the Varsity Lady Warriors Volleyball team ousted Brookwood’s Lady Broncos in three straight sets 25-20, 25-16, and 25-15 on Tuesday August 12. The Warriors’ next home game will face tough area competition on September 9 against potentially undefeated Harrison and strong contender Kennesaw Mountain.

“I saw us gain momentum very quickly after the first few points, then we just took over the game with our strong serving,” senior outside hitter Abby Miller said.

After losing star power graduates from last year’s roster, the Lady Warriors looked determined and stronger than ever to get the first win. The third set exhibited NC’s endurance and will as they made quick pace of the Lady Broncos 25-15. Strong serving by junior setter Taylor Parrish, who recorded two aces, and senior libero Christina Matacotta who led a streak of nine points on her serving alone, careened the Warriors to a convincing sweep. Sophomore Sam Aldridge led a streak of her own, serving the ball with precise accuracy and speed.

“We all felt great when we stepped out there. The whole team connected really well and it showed on the court. Our passing was on point and we were talking to each other and I think this game will set the pace perfect for the rest of the season,” senior outside hitter Savanna Gonzales said.

During the second set, the Lady Warriors started slow, going down 7-3. They came back strongly against the Lady Broncos as the Warriors ripped off two streaks of four points, putting them ahead 11-7 and securing their lead for the remainder of the set.

Sophomore middle Jenna Woodruff finished the game with five kills and three blocks against strong Brookwood outside hitters. Gonzales answered Brookwood’s strong start to the second set by recording 12 kills, capping off a strong opening performance.

Parrish ended the day with 28 assists and helped the Warriors to achieve a good luck first win. Matacotta recorded 11 digs and Miller recorded nine.

The Lady Warriors won their first match of the season through consistent play and tremendous communication.