CCSD releases plans for snow day cancellations

Leda Catak, News editor

The unexpected snow days left many students and staff in shock with back-to-back days of school cancellations from January 17 to January 19. The low temperatures left the roads covered in ice and made Cobb County School District (CCSD) cancel school due to unsafe road conditions.

“A lot of the areas in northern parts of Cobb County had ice coated roads even though we didn’t have much where I live. Education is important, but it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to these kinds of driving conditions. I’m glad that they [CCSD] canceled school for the days where road conditions were unsafe, and I’m glad we weren’t stuck at school again,” junior Tylan Cline said.

Staff members feared insufficient time to teach the required standards before the end of the year. Students, while content with the idea of no school, became alarmed about CCSD’s decision to add on additional school days to make up for the lost days in the 2017-2018 school year.

As CCSD sent out tweets for school cancellations, some students tweeted back, worried about whether the county would take away their winter break in February, or even their spring break in April. Students showed no satisfaction to the idea of additional school days and expressed themselves through various social media platforms.

“I really enjoyed this mini break we had, it really gave me time to relax and get all my things organized. I’m surprised that they haven’t taken days away from our break. I hope teachers are able to get through the standards on time,” junior Allie Mozingo said.

Cobb County Superintendent Chris Ragsdale posted information on the CCSD website about how the county will handle the several snow days days missed. He explained how no additional days will be added to the school year, the school day will not be extended by a few minutes, and no days will be taken away from the remaining break(s). Ragsdale concluded his announcement by stating that he feels confident about staff members’ ability to meet the academic needs of the students.

NC students that take advanced level classes such as AP or Honors feel the need to question this final decision.

“I feel like some way we need to make up these days. A lot of work gets piled up for those who take AP classes. What are we supposed to do? Study on our own? Kids won’t do that. I’m not complaining, but it’s unfair for the seniors that are trying to take AP exams for college,” sophomore Priscilla Petersen said.