Elon Musk purchases NC in mission to Mars investment

Its+official%21+Elon+Musk+just+closed+a+deal+for+%2475+million+for+ownership+of+NC%2C+in+hopes+of+sending+the+building+to+space+and+creating+a+new+society+on+Mars.+The+school%E2%80%99s+stellar+accomplishments+and+large+population+earned+students%2C+faculty%2C+and+their+families+a+spot+on+the+new+frontier.+Effective+next+year%2C+expect+some+major+changes+to+the+educational+framework.+

Nadya Awino

It’s official! Elon Musk just closed a deal for $75 million for ownership of NC, in hopes of sending the building to space and creating a new society on Mars. The school’s stellar accomplishments and large population earned students, faculty, and their families a spot on the new frontier. Effective next year, expect some major changes to the educational framework.

Nadya Awino, Photo Editor

In a shocking twist, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has recently purchased North Cobb High School for $75 million dollars from the Cobb County School District. Also the CEO of SpaceX, Musk intends to send NC to Mars as the first school in space.

“History suggests there will be some doomsday event, and I would hope you would agree that becoming a multi-planetary species would be the right way to go,” Musk said at the International Astronautical Conference last year in Mexico.

The deal came after multiple commendations and awards acquired by students at NC. Recently, the SkillsUSA team won five gold medals at the 2018 State Leadership and Skills Conference, Model UN received six awards at their KSU conference, and the Hispanic Organization Promoting Education, or HoPE, traveled to the Capitol to discuss pressing issues with state legislators. Additionally, NC’s high level of diversity would create a heterogeneous society that other schools could not achieve. Seeing the school’s level of potential, Musk offers students and their families a chance to take their place in history.

“This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but I think it’s extremely progressive. We’re constantly brainstorming ways to save the planet, stressing over natural resources and the world’s rising population, so why don’t we just start fresh on Mars?” NC parent Lois Griffin said.

Musk will take families on a volunteer basis only, requiring physicals and psychological evaluations for future colonizers. Although the actual cost for passengers ranges from $100,000-$200,000, NC families will pay $25,000 in installments; the new civilization will also offer work programs in exchange for credit towards their debt. Planners will convert NC into a K-12 school, teaching similar standards with a special focus on space agriculture and infrastructure. Once the martian economy starts up, SpaceX will allow additional families to join the colony.

”It’s a wonderful opportunity if you can afford it, but it will cause massive changes in our school system,” CCSD superintendent Chris Ragsdale said.

The CCSD plans to redistrict families that opt out of the mission, sending students to Allatoona and Kennesaw Mountain based on their location. The district will also change bus routes to mirror the Magnet model, designating a public area where buses will pick up and drop off students.