“Hold on babe, this is why I’m playing Fortnite”

A+Fortnite+player+reloads+the+rocket+launcher+and+goes+for+the+Victory+Battle+Royale.+Today%E2%80%99s+prime+and+growing+game+has+swept+across+the+world%2C+bringing+in+gamers+into+the+beloved+Fortnite+community.+

A Fortnite player reloads the rocket launcher and goes for the Victory Battle Royale. Today’s prime and growing game has swept across the world, bringing in gamers into the beloved Fortnite community.

Esteban Alarcon

Esteban Alarcon

Esteban Alarcon

Esteban Alarcon, Opinions editor

In modern video gaming, a plethora of combative games peak and hit their plateau, burn out in a matter of weeks, and leave players eager for the next release. However, the gaming community experienced a widespread ripple caused by one pebble dropped in the virtual pond—Fortnite.

On September 26, 2017 Revolutionizing the definition of battle royale gameplay, Epic Games released the “first fully free-to-play battle royale game on the market,” on September 26, 2017. Considering the high accessibility to PC, Mac, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and mobile device players, this novel wild fire spread throughout the world, bringing in 3.4 million players.

To those who see video games as just another language, Fortnite may not stand out as the extraordinary masterpiece praised by the gaming world. Fortnite designer Darren Sugg compiled this gem with the most praised elements that appeal to a wide range of players—teamwork, engaging aesthetics, bloodless shooting mode, interactive structures, and a $0.00 price tag. The Battle Royale set up, somewhat similar to a Hunger Games mode, starts players off in the Battle Bus, launching them onto the map and forcing them closer towards the middle as they pick up guns and material in order to win as the last player standing. The teamwork element encourages “duo” and “squad” modes that allow groups of friends to battle other teams, a riveting experience that requires strategy and skill.  

“It’s the best game I’ve ever played. I love playing with my friends, not paying any money, and just enjoying the overall design of the game,” junior Kaden Barfield said.

Beyond these pull factors that perpetuate the game’s success, minimal competition also ensures Fortnite’s spot on the throne. The previous champion of Battle Royale style warfare, PlayerUnknown’s Battleground (PUBG), employed a similar “drop-gather-fight” mode, but does not compare to Fortnite’s entertaining cartoon graphics, weekly updates, and gamer streaming craze facilitated by live streaming site, Twitch.com. Fortnite surpassed PUBG’s 3.2 million players and continues to rapidly spread. Because of YouTube and Twitch, the public receives exposure to the addictive game through Fortnite savants. Richard Blevins, also known as Ninja and the face of Fortnite, brings in 9.1 million YouTube subscribers—about four million subscribed in one month.

To further the craze surrounding Fortnite, Ninja invited renowned music artists Drake and Travis Scott, and NFL player Juju Smith-Schuster, to play a match, raking in a light six million views.  

Fortnite continues to amaze and bring more players into the realm of Battle Royale. For now, it will continue to grow and expand as it makes pop culture history.

Esteban Alarcon, Copy Editor

Esteban Alarcon is 5’7” on his license, so we’ll go with that. As an academically ambitious senior, semi-professional wakesurfer, jazz musician,...