Becca’s Closet no more

Picture Courtesy of Becca’s Closet Instagram @beccasclosetnchs

Becca’s Closet worked with the students of NC’s community and the people around them too help provide dresses and clothes for those in need. Depicted are NC students modeling dresses for upcoming prom events. With the backing support from stores such as Macy’s these students were able to give away dresses for the profit of happy smiles

Julyana Ayache, Reporter/Photographer

After Becca’s Closet’s involvement at NC for the past two years, where they provided prom dresses to less fortunate students, the club came to its end this school year. In honor of Rebecca Kirtman, a young lady who passed away in a car crash, Becca’s Closet, a non-profit organization, donates prom dresses and formal wear to high school girls in the United States. Former student Sydney Sims created the NC chapter as a form of community service.

“I like fashion, so I didn’t really see Becca’s Closet as traditional community service,” Sims said.

Sims looked into starting a chapter at NC when she saw that not many chapters existed in the Metro Atlanta area. Sims decided to take on the responsibility of starting the new club.  

With Becca’s Closet inspiring her, she began to run meetings and handle dresses. Over her past two years as club leader, she invested time and effort into making the club a major success.

“It’s like my little baby. It embodies my service and selfless side. Seeing the face of a girl who found the perfect dress made my day,” Sims said.

Soon, Becca’s Closet expanded in ways Sims could not imagine. The team received around 1,000 dresses from people in the community and Macy’s.

Limited space became a rising issue for the massive amount of dresses the club received. With the overwhelming number of dresses and the little space, Sims took the liability of storing the donated dresses in her house instead of on NC’s campus. Once it became time for Sims to graduate, no one could fill her shoes.

Though Becca’s Closet remained primarily student driven, math teacher and club adviser Cara Hamilton  offered her classroom space and guidance during meetings and the running of boutiques. During boutiques, the team would work with young in the local community to find the perfect dress at least three times a semester.

“When it was time to have a boutique, you had to load up all of the dresses, and load them into the school, and then only a few people would show up, it was a lot of work,” Hamilton said.

As the idea of the club grew in popularity, commitment decreased over time. The club would begin with 30 to 40 members, then drop off to about 8 by the end of the school year. Once the last of the truly committed students graduated, the club slowed and soon came to a end.  

“I am sad that nobody at our school wanted to step up and continue the chapter,” Sims said.

Sims and the rest of the team donated the remaining dresses to an upcoming chapter at Douglas County, trusting that they will continue the legacy of making young girls night’s unforgettable through finding their perfect prom dress.