Change for Change: Ready to take on the world

Co-founder+Elyssa+Abbott+looks+over+organizations+that+Change+for+Change+potentially+will+partner+with.+A+few+of+them+include%3A+Convoy+of+Hope%2C+Flint+Kids+Fund%2C+ASPCA%2C+Equality+Now%2C+and+WWF.+Working+with+these+organization+can+help+familiarize+the+club+members+with+ways+to+channel+help+into+the+world.+

Naoshin Kaiser

Co-founder Elyssa Abbott looks over organizations that Change for Change potentially will partner with. A few of them include: Convoy of Hope, Flint Kids Fund, ASPCA, Equality Now, and WWF. Working with these organization can help familiarize the club members with ways to channel help into the world.

Naoshin Kaiser, Photographer

Sophomores Elyssa Abbott and Abbey Corley took the challenge of initiating their own club, Change for Change, at the beginning of this school year. Change for Change focuses on helping to make a difference, not just in our community, nor only our state, but in the entire world. Corley and Abbott collaborated to create an interconnected society—the theme of the club.

Both Abbott and Corley take part in NC’s International Studies Magnet program, which led them to create the overall global interconnection of the club. The club wants to focus on current issues that pertain to the passions of its members. Each project the club takes on strives to conquer a matter that members value.

“I’m really passionate about feminism, so we want to do projects about feminism in areas such as Saudi Arabia with women’s inequality,” Abbott said.

With the help of psychology teacher Melanie Shelnutt and their sponsor World History teacher Tina Guest, the girls came up with Change for Change. Abbott and Corley wish to educate members about current worldwide issues and allow them to brainstorm ways to help resolve them.

“We started this club to spread what we are passionate about around the world. We also want to help make a difference in not just our community, but globally,” Abbott said.

Together, the girls began their first club meeting on Wednesday, August 8. They meet every Wednesday morning at 7:45 a.m. in Room 209. Abbott and Corley encourage all students to come and join the club.

During the meetings, the founders explain projects the club will participate in. The first project the girls launched involved writing letters to women around the world who currently battle with breast cancer; they found the women through organizations posted online. The letters contained thoughtful messages to brighten the moods of these individuals and encourage them in their fight against cancer.  

“The club is a do-good, feel-good type of thing. After writing the letters for the women, I honestly felt like a better person,” Abbott said.

After gaining members, the club hopes to visit Flint, Michigan to help a crisis occurring right in front of the nation. Flint’s water crisis leaves the state struggling to provide clean water for its citizens. The club would provide water bottles to the citizens of the city, since residents struggle to receive fresh water. Projects such as these make up the future goals of the club, so currently the girls work on partnering up with organizations such as Convoy of Hope, National Association of the Deaf, and the National Alliance for Mental Illness, to make their goals achievable.

With the growing support of the club, Abbott and Corley work their way up to success. Staring off on the right foot creates a path for the girls to follow. Leading this club gives them a positive feeling and helps them connect to their goals to create a united society.