NC’s Yearly Wedding: I Object


Nia-Simone Sherwood

Mock weddings at North Cobb continued as a tradition through 1996 allowing students to experience a glimpse of such an eventful day. Students and staff at the time seemed to enjoy the ceremony, but NC warriors today think otherwise. “A mock wedding would feel like i’m getting married to a friend or a classmate so although we’re in high school there is no real connection. A real wedding should be with someone who means the most to you, it’s a time meant to be spent with family and friends, most of all the person you love” junior Chris Maclellan said.

Nia-Simone Sherwood, Reporter/ Videographer

As high school sweethearts stand hand-in-hand planning to further progress their relationship after graduation, some students received marital experience earlier than expected. The idea of a faux wedding in high school definitely raises concerns in today’s generation, but proved worthy enough to create a tradition at NC in 1996. The annual mock wedding for NC students first made its debut article in The Chant‘s January 31, 1996, issue.

The mock weddings, performed by both the home economics and drama department, offered students insight on the effort, planning, and contribution of others required to smoothly execute the magical day. Students filled roles of the bride, groom, best man, and maid-of-honor.

“[The] drama students not only assisted with the production of the mock wedding, but also supplied students to play the role of the grandmothers at the wedding,” (Crowe, Michael 1996).

What seems like a vital process to teach students, it no longer makes an appearance in the school’s curriculum anymore.

“I think that’s a little strange. Obviously, if this happened every year I don’t think the students thought it was weird at the time. I really don’t think NC students today would ever do that just because of our time period. We were just brought up different,” junior Ileni Morenta said.

The odd event, supported by students, staff, and outside contributors such as Designer’s Workshop and Wendy’s Apparel provided suits, dresses, and decorations to emphasize the wedding’s reality. Coordinators of the mock wedding directed musical guests to perform during the ceremony, and a local reverend from the community guided the service.

“Maybe the teachers were trying to show the difficulties behind weddings [and show] kids to not rush into marriage and learn the finances that are included in it,” sophomore Campbell Miles said.

After surveying thirteen NC students, 20 percent agreed to the idea of continuing the former tradition, but the remaining 80 percent strongly disagreed to the idea of performing the marital ritual in school today. Students expressed marriage as a concept that should come naturally. While an exciting tradition in the 90s, mock weddings will definitely not make a return to NC anytime soon.

Nia-Simone Sherwood
After digitally conducting a poll surveying a total of thirteen NC students, the majority rallied against the idea of continuing the tradition of mock weddings in today’s high school atmosphere. When interviewing students about the concept of a class performing fake weddings the answers remained the same: “No! That’s weird.”