Devils sink back down to the underworld, heavy with a loss

Senior+striker%2C+Bryan+Estrada%2C+defends+the+ball+leading+to+Marietta%E2%80%99s+goal.+Shortly+after%2C+Estrada+takes+a+shot+on+the+goal+and+misses+but+brings+it+back+with+a+free+kick%2C+and+puts+Warriors+ahead+1-0.+

Senior striker, Bryan Estrada, defends the ball leading to Marietta’s goal. Shortly after, Estrada takes a shot on the goal and misses but brings it back with a free kick, and puts Warriors ahead 1-0.

Julyana Ayache

Julyana Ayache

Julyana Ayache

Julyana Ayache, Reporter/Photographer

Varsity boys soccer faced off against the Marietta Blue Devils on Tuesday, March 26. Bouncing back from their previous loss against Hillgrove, the Warriors walked off the field with a victory of 2-0.

“This game was a major improvement from our last two games. We made this game a point of emphasis because we hadn’t played the best in the two previous ones, so our effort levels were much better,” senior Ben Schick said.

Warriors started the game off strong with prevalent offensive passing and intense defense. At the beginning of the first half, sophomore goalie Phillip Stark managed two saves, giving the Warriors a chance to fight against Marietta. Soon after, as a part of the Warriors’ rapid offense, senior striker Bryan Estrada took a shot at the goal, but it veered right of the goal. In no time, Estrada free-kicked the ball on Marietta, leading the scoreboard. With five minutes left in the game, Estrada headed the ball into the goal making the score 2-0.

Warriors kept their lead through the second half of the game, and the team maintained their focused mindset, communicating efficiently and bringing their best on the field. Warriors directed two shots on the goal, but Marietta’s goalie saved both. Midway through the second half, attacking midfielder and junior Zach Concha made a shot above the goal, resetting the field. Promptly, in the final ten seconds of the game, Stark made a strong save at an attempt to score from the Blue Devils, allowing the Warriors to win at a score of 2-0.

“We’re currently in a position for a playoffs spot, but we’re really pushing because we have a tough game next against Kennesaw Mountain. Our goal is to win our game against McEachern, and hopefully get a home game for playoffs,” Schick said.

Julyana Ayache, Reporter/Photographer

Julyana Ayache begins her journey at The Chant in hopes of being introduced to the world of journalism. She aspires to be a news reporter and travel someday,...