Madeline: A Proper Warrior

Plastering Native American culture at the forefront of NC’s ‘logo’ directly affects dozens of actual Native Americans, especially when worn by white teens who see their struggles as a joke.  “I think it’s important that we move past these harmful racial stereotypes. I sincerely hope it gets changed,” said Victoria Echevarria.

Image courtesy of Madeline Shell

Plastering Native American culture at the forefront of NC’s ‘logo’ directly affects dozens of actual Native Americans, especially when worn by white teens who see their struggles as a joke. “I think it’s important that we move past these harmful racial stereotypes. I sincerely hope it gets changed,” said Victoria Echevarria.

Zioni Moore, Reporter

Isolation caused hundreds of teens to enter a state of self-reflection as they pondered various aspects of the world around them. This triggered a widespread awareness of societal issues. NC sophomore Madeline Shell decided to take matters into her own hands after her observations led her to create a petition urging NC to change their school mascot, believing that the ethics behind using mistreated cultures for a school symbol wrong. This seemingly minor action made a huge impact and inspired NC students to follow her lead and involve themselves in their communities.

1358 people signed the petition; approximately half of the school’s population. Inspired by the likes of Alexandria Cortez and Ruth Bader, the soft-spoken teen decided to step up and embody the power of her role-models.

Shell made efforts toward achieving equality and justice in her community previously, stemming from Black Lives Matter protests in Kennesaw and Acworth and online activism. Madeline will never forget peacefully protesting at Wildman’s Civil War Surplus. With all of her previous actions understood, multiple NC students questioned why the petition became her next step, or rather why to focus on NC’s mascot.

Shell has herself attended several protests, each one very different from the last. “There were people of all ages there, from mothers with their babies and toddlers to senior citizens. I wanted to attend that one because I love supporting that kind of change, especially in our local community,” Shell said. (Image courtesy of Madeline Shell)

“I’m not Native American, so this is not my issue, but I have spoken to a lot of Native people. I’ve seen them post about the hurtful issue that offends their culture, so I thought I could use my position to speak out,” said Shell.

A number of students from NC and other bordering schools spoke out about how they agreed with Madeline’s decision. They went into detail about how surrounding schools mascots in their area included slurs directed at Native Americans. Past NC alumni expressed their disappointment with the mascot’s use by the school. Others verbalized their disgust with the mascot and its effects on NC students. While people agree and stand with Shell, certain outliers who favor NC’s mascot remain. They went to Shell demanding to know why she wanted to change such a trivial concept. 

“I think it’s important to not go ‘well, it’s not our issue’. It’s not our job to tell Native Americans that this is not a big deal or don’t be so dramatic about it, we should just listen and let them voice their concerns,” said Shell.

Madeline heavily emphasized bringing awareness to issues that she deems important, and that affect others, by going further than just signing petitions. She urged people to peer inside their communities and look for what needs improvement. Shell and those who use their keen eye grant the world the gift of a lifetime, because of the awareness and positive change Shell created that will benefit generations at a time.

“I am not a mascot, my grandfather is not a mascot, my great grandfather is not a mascot. We are humans, not items or animals. See us, witness us,” said  Amour Molina.