Pets and COVID-19

Marissa Amorose

Recently numerous species of animals tested positive with the COVID-19 virus and multiple came back positive. Doctors and physicians shared advice that can help decrease the spread through animals and help if your pet attracts the virus. They also stated how the virus can get spread to certain animals and why those animals specifically.

Marissa Amorose, Reporter

Recently, not only human-beings, but animals and pets have experienced the side-effects of COVID-19. While according to the FDA, hardly any species have contracted the virus, animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, and now otters can contract the virus, although the percentage of animals contracting COVID-19 still remains very low. The first-known animal case began with a tiger at the zoo of New York which led to a small number of tigers also contracting the illness. The other felines in the New York zoo did not get infected with COVID. On April 18, 2021 an Asian small-clawed otter at the Georgia Aquarium caught COVID-19. The otter experienced symptoms similar to humans like sneezing, runny nose, lack of energy, and coughing. Doctors treated the otter and now await the otter’s quick recovery. 

“I have heard of multiple animals getting the virus in other states like New York, but not in Georgia until now since the otter contracted the virus at the Georgia aquarium last month in April,” senior Gideon Anthis said. 

The CDC specified that anyone thinking they contracted the virus or proved that they do, should stay away from pets and other animals to reduce the spread just in case. Specialists still need to complete more studies to understand the details of other animals and the virus. Information gathered by the CDC announced that the likeliness of animals spreading COVID to human-beings remains low. The species indeed do pass the virus on by getting into close contact with other animals and people. To treat animals with COVID-19 individuals should do similar things as they would if they got infected, such as isolating the animal away from everyone and everything in somewhere like a bathroom or laundry room and taking it to the veterinarian. If the species of animal enjoys the outside, the owners should not let them stay outside so that it reduces the spread to others. 

“One of my friends that live in New York went to the zoo before the felines got infected and said everyone was wearing masks and did not have any COVID-19 symptoms, but later on noticed the cats got the virus by hearing on the radio and by watching the news,” freshman Ryan Vickers said.

Now nearly a dozen animals can get infected with COVID and specialists almost completely know that the animal cases occurred because of humans spreading it. Animals like hamsters and rabbits got tested with the virus and scientists now know that those types of animals can get it.  A couple of species of pigs and ducks got tested and, unlike hamsters, cannot get the COVID-19. On the farm, numerous animals like cows and horses have not gone through any testing with the virus, so physicians remain unsure if they can attract COVID-19 or not. Wearing masks and staying socially distanced will help decrease the spread of COVID-19 between us human-beings, and our pets.