Cris White looks forward to the future of her stationary business

Gloria T.

After establishing her business in December of 2020, entrepreneur Cris White makes heavy advances in her stationery shop and deepens her love of Korean culture. Even though she created her business during a pandemic, she constantly looks toward the future of her business and focuses on areas of improvement, “[I plan to] do more in-person events now that COVID 19 restrictions are lifted. I want people to actually be able to put a face to the name which I feel is important to do. Yes, you can do that with videos, but [ it doesn’t have the same effect],” White said.

Jasmina Buranich, Reporter

Entrepreneur Cris White officially opens her stationery shop for business and welcomes new customers with open arms. With her admiration of Korean culture stemming from her childhood and her knowledge of stationary operations, she officially launched her business, Chemi Code in February of 2022. Her business name originates from the Korean word, 케미 , which refers to the chemistry between two people, and the code that sets each human apart varying from their individual interests to their cultures.

Even though White started her operation without knowing the nuts and bolts of a small business, she stood determined to advance her shop to its fullest potential. White discovered she needed to improve on the financial and marketing requirements of maintaining her small business or her love for stationery alone would not fully support her. After careful research and guidance from friends and companions, White noticed substantial changes in the growth and development of her micro-enterprise.

“Making my products different from everyone else’s products is something I am still working on. The market is really oversaturated with items such as clothes, logos and [there are] a bunch of small business owners. It can be difficult to set yourself apart from others, but small business owners need to know they can make it and be great entrepreneurs despite setbacks such as negative comments and finances,” sophomore  Ryan Lacey, owner of Lovey Crew, said.

White assisted her friend in opening a thrift store and worked with her during the store’s opening. During this time, White gained much-needed knowledge about finances and the numerous aspects of running a small enterprise. Her friend provided unconditional support regarding financial forms and keeping track of expenses. Bulgabee and AOD photo owners assisted White in the knowledge of promoting her brand and expanding the business. White now exceptionally advertises her business across social media platforms in her own unique way and maintains a positive reputation with her customers. White created a cultural-based business due to her love for Korean culture, widening her types of clientele. White welcomes all cultures and provides customized stickers to allow people to express their cultures and interests in their everyday life. White even recognizes her supporters and clients through Instagram highlights and emphasizes the story behind their stickers. 

“The most crucial part of my business is my supporters, they are the ones who keep me going and make me want to push forward. It truly warms my heart to have such supportive people on my side and I try to express this often through social media and thank you cards which are sent out with each order. Each of my supporters works hard and helps me get what I want to achieve. That thought alone makes me cry tears of joy,” White said.

White’s creativity truly shines through each of her designs and individuals can sense her love for humanity by a simple browse through her social media pages. Her clients can reach her stationery site through the link in her Instagram bio and can browse through her website featuring positive messages and customized stickers. Her affordable prices allow her clients to express themselves without damaging their wallets. 

“For people considering sponsoring or buying from my business, I want them to know I’m not running [Chemi Code] because I’m looking to make a lot of money. I am doing this because of my love for mankind, and I feel like we live in a world where people are too focused on themselves and constantly look for ways to separate themselves from others by trying to be different to the point where they don’t take the time to look at what they have in common with the person next to them. When people buy from me I don’t want them to buy from me in hopes to be different, but to make new friendships with others based on common interests,” White said.