Shakira faces consequences for tax fraud

J. Countess/Getty Images

After years of tax evasion, Shakira could serve up to 8 years in prison if convicted. She leaves everything behind in Spain, including her recently broken relationship with Gerard Piqué. She sets her path on relocating to Miami to escape these problems and reside closer to family and friends.

Callie Kinsinger, Features Editor

Colombian singer Shakira faces six charges of tax fraud on numerous accounts, adding up to possible eight years in prison. She now owes around 24 million USD total in tax evasion and fraud to the Spanish government.

Well-known for hit songs “Hips Don’t Lie” and “Waka Waka”, Shakira surprised the nation with her denial of previously mentioned claims in a trial in 2019. Publicists in London supported her, saying she paid her taxes and proved as a good citizen. Now, more uncovered claims of tax evasion and fraud follow Shakira and a plethora of people wonder where it all began.

“Shakira evading taxes is honestly surprising because she is a big artist who probably makes a big income so I don’t know why she would risk not paying taxes since it could have jail time and could hurt her career,” sophomore Josephine Green said.

Her tax troubles began in 2018 when Spanish authorities accused her of evading tax charges in the years 2012 to 2014. Through this period, she claimed to live in places such as the Bahamas, but secretly spent around 200 days in Spain each of those years.

The Spanish government defines residents as people who stay in Spain for 184 days or more per year for tax reasons. Shakira did not pay taxes when residing in the country, resulting in these tax claims. She rejected the offered settlement deal and opted to go to trial instead. This reveals that six charges of tax troubles stand against Shakira.

“I think she probably knew the law, so the charges make sense. She did spend enough time there to be taxed and even our government would send people out to collect taxes or debt. It doesn’t surprise me though because most celebrities mess with taxes,” sophomore Noah Kennedy.

She now debates relocating to Miami, Florida to escape the charges and live in the United States full time. Family and friends of Shakira’s reside in Miami, allowing her to possibly seek refuge or move into her own property also located in Miami for a longer period of time.

Shakira also deals with the ending of her 12-year relationship with Gerard Piqué, which ended in June 2022 and the custody troubles that follow. The family lived in Barcelona with their two children. The possibility stands that these proceedings may interfere with Shakira’s credibility in court. The tax fraud charges could stand against her in trial for custody of her children.

“Shakira running away from these problems is a bad example honestly considering a bunch of people admire her as a musician. Her leaving to go to [be with] family is expected to me because she probably doesn’t want a bunch of public and media attention,” Green said.