New NC Key Club

%0997+years+after+Albert+C.+Olney+and+Frank+C.+Vincent+founded+the+original+Key+Club+International+organization%2C+NC+finally+decided+to+invite+a+Key+Club+into+their+school.+They+plan+to+collaborate+with+other+Key+Clubs+in+the+area+and+do+their+best+to+support+their+community.+NC+encourages+students+of+all+grades+to+join+and+easily+gain+volunteer+hours+while+learning+multiple+positive+characteristics+along+the+way.+

Tori Altamirano

97 years after Albert C. Olney and Frank C. Vincent founded the original Key Club International organization, NC finally decided to invite a Key Club into their school. They plan to collaborate with other Key Clubs in the area and do their best to support their community. NC encourages students of all grades to join and easily gain volunteer hours while learning multiple positive characteristics along the way.

Tori Altamirano, Reporter

As of 2022, NC officially charted its own student-led Key Club. Key Club, an international service organization for high school students, stands as the high school branch of the Kiwanis International family, while K-Kids remains the elementary branch. It serves as the oldest and largest first aid service program for high school students in the world. 

The Key Club’s mission statement, “Key Club is an international, student-led organization that provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character and develop leadership,” shows how the members value themselves and others. They aim to cooperate with school principals and teachers to provide high school students with the experience of living and working together. Members of this club also learn great leadership skills by running meetings, planning projects and holding elected leadership positions.

Kiwanis Club members, Albert C. Olney and Frank C. Vincent founded the original Key Club organization at Sacramento High School. The members of this club willingly decided to serve the school in any way possible and help encourage school spirit. After multiple years, the club that started as a vocational guidance program expanded and became a complete service organization. 

“It is important that NC has a Key Club because it brings good school spirit and good core values as students come up, especially to freshmen. We want to instill character in them, friendliness, compassion and sharing. I feel like Key Club as a whole brings that to students, especially the younger ones,” Key Club vice president Allisa George said.

Taking part in this group offers plenty of advantages. Actively participating in the club allows one to acquire new friends from all grades and helps strengthen communication skills. Not only fellow club members but also strangers met at community events like drives, races, clean ups and helping at nursing homes. Participating in Key Clubs during high school looks good on college applications and provides service hours for students who want to aim higher. 

All Key Clubs like to collaborate with other Key Clubs in their area, including NC. When NC teams up with other Key Clubs, students can help their community and provide for those in need. Before the club became official, they had already done their part to help the community by donating non-perishable food in the Must Ministries Food Drive and by making freshman survival packs that provided pencils, pens, erasers and markers to incoming freshmen.

On March 2, 2022, NC Key Club participated in the Must Ministries Food Drive. This food drive provided plenty of food for about 100 hungry men, women and children. It also fed 72 residents at the Elizabeth Inn shelter. Now, the official NC Key Club plans to participate in multiple other community service events in their area.

“Key Club is a student-led community service program where we do different community service events. It’s very much a friendly, interactive club. Being in Key Club is very important because you get to help your community not only so you can have the hours to look good for school but just because it builds character. You really realize how much people need help more than you and how much isn’t being done,” Key Club President Abbie Omisore said.