NC should unite with uniforms

Giovanna Talone

When The Chant’s former editor-in-chief, Amber Roldan wrote an April Fools article announcing NC’s new uniforms policy the false statement still created a buzz around the school. With certain students liking the idea and others hating it, several students felt relieved knowing they could wear what they wanted with the dress code as the only restraint. However, NC should turn the joke into reality by mandating uniforms.

Giovanna Talone, Sports Editor

The thought of school uniforms stands as a controversial topic in schools. Several kids dread the idea of them, while others find them convenient. Despite the negative aspects like restricted student expression and the promotion of conformity over individuality, they provide several benefits to not only students but teachers and parents as well. 

Wearing identical clothing would keep NC safe and decrease the chances of an intruder entering campus due to their incongruous clothing. Teachers wearing matching clothing also keep students safe for the same reasons. Not only will students remain secure, but all students dressing the same present the school in a neat and professional manner. Wearing a school logo means students represent the school on and off campus, which can encourage them to behave correctly and responsibly

Uniforms can also reduce students’ stress when it comes to outfits. Picking out outfits every morning and trying not to wear the same thing too consistently can apply unneeded pressure. Clothes often express financial status and those expressing a lower status commonly suffer from bullying. When students dress equally to their peers, the likelihood of teasing appears to reduce. Parents will not need to stress buying their kids the trendiest, most expensive clothes when wearing mandated attire. Public schools provide free education, forcing less fortunate families to buy uniforms for their kids which can cause additional pressure. If school districts can provide uniforms the way they provided county laptops to students, the cost would not concern families.

“I’m tired of hearing complaints about dress code and complaints from students having to follow it. The only way students are gonna follow the dress code is if we had uniforms. It shows unison and makes our school look nice. I preferred it when I used to wear uniforms at my old school, but wearing whatever you want is how a lot of people express themselves and uniforms would take that away. The argument can go both ways but I think uniforms offer way more benefits,” senior Elijah Holloway said.

The school lies as a learning place, and those attending deserve to feel comfortable in the clothes they wear. Students often use clothes as a form of expression and uniforms can strip away the freedom of wearing what they prefer. However, school uniforms would help with creating a routine and prevent kids from wearing unfit clothes to school. To help prepare teens for jobs requiring employees to dress the same, presentable clothes such as uniforms will help.

“I think we shouldn’t have uniforms because it doesn’t let students express their creativity. Our school colors would make our uniforms really ugly, too. Knowing this school, most people wouldn’t follow it since most already don’t follow the dress code,” sophomore Mia Prozorac.

Uniforms eliminate the chance of students dressing inappropriately, which enforces the current dress code, which several do not follow. They also eliminate the display of inappropriate messages on clothing items, creating a positive teaching and learning environment. With students’ clothes chosen already, tardies and absences will potentially decrease in the morning due to kids not struggling to pick out an outfit when dressing for school.

NC should mandate uniforms to facilitate teachers’ and students’ lives, as well as bring unity to the school while keeping students safe at the same time. Students can express themselves outside of school but should maintain professional attire in learning environments.