The great migration to Florida

Lana Law

As the school year comes to an end, high school students all around Georgia travel to Panama City Beach, Florida for solid rest and relaxation. However, recent regulations put in place by city officials might limit students’ fun. While the goal of the new rules serves to convert the town into one with an increased family-friendly atmosphere, it could severely damage local business and tourism as a result of the changes. Nevertheless, high schoolers should take a look into the set rules upon their arrival in order to preserve their fun.

Lauren Lee, News editor

Every year, almost every high school student in Georgia travels to Florida to make the best of their Spring Break. While each city in Florida contains unique characteristics,  Panama City grabs the attention of almost every high schooler. Last year, however, officials arrested 161 people in one weekend at Panama City Beach, and 11 of those arrested came from the Columbus, GA, area. Officials want all visitors to enjoy the beaches and create the best memories while also following guidelines. They added that any violations of the law can lead to jail time, fines and a scar on one’s criminal record. 

According to Panama City Police Chief J.R Talamantez, the behavior of spring breakers has changed over the years and he will no longer tolerate it. He concerns himself with the safety of residents, businesses and visitors, enforcing the laws already established within the community. The new rules consist of curfews and the prohibition of alcohol on beaches.

“Local officials, as well as local law enforcement, got together during that time and created what we call Spring Break ordinances to try to curb the behavior and prevent people from coming down here to destroy our city,” Talamantez said.

During March, law enforcement officials ask visitors to consider rules and regulations. For example, no commercial parking lots or inside vehicles, all alcohol sales end at 2 A.M, and open house parties will remain prohibited. Mayor of Panama City, Greg Brudnicki claims that last year, he noticed an influx of visitors in late-night businesses. This year, city officials passed an ordinance where the police chief can, without a court order, shut down any business if they present a public safety issue.

“I’m excited for this year’s trip to Panama City Beach but I hope the new rules do not continue into April and affect the adventures I have planned. Last year was a little out of control but I feel like there should be more officers patrolling rather than these strict rules put in place. I want this to be an escape from school rather than a trip that feels like a prison,” junior Grayson Hodges said.

Friday, March 10, a new ordinance went into place through April 10. A temporary beach closure will occur from 10 pm to 4 am between beach access 25 near Pineapple Willy’s to beach access 36 West of Ocean Villa. Nearly one-third of incidents happened in that area over the last two years, and the ordinance can hopefully ensure the safety of beachgoers.

Other domestic hotspots for highschools  include Myrtle Beach, Miami, Destin. Orlando, Nashville, Tybee Island, and Hilton Head. These locations include less highschoolers which means less regulations and relaxing. Regardless of the location, highschoolers should take advantage of this week to relieve their minds from academics.