Schools should make the minor change of implementing majors

Erinn Gardner

Before heading to college, high school students heavily consider that which will certainly affect their future: their major. Several students come to college not knowing what to expect, holding no prior knowledge of taking a major. Allowing high school seniors to major in a subject they truly enjoy will not only take them out of their senior blues but will encourage them to start thinking about their career path.

Erinn Gardner, Editor in Chief

High school stands as a critical aspect in a teenager’s life. In several ways, the high school prepares students for college and serves as a place for growth. The school system requires students to take a specific amount of credits before they can walk the stage. However, seniors should not spend their last year of high school cramming in classes and attempting to finish their required courses, as this burden puts an unnecessary amount of stress on them before their grand exit. Rather, schools should carry the option to major in a subject for which they truly exhibit a passion. This change would make students’ senior years enjoyable, and provide them with the college preparation they actually need.

A handful may argue that electives allow students to participate in their desired courses in addition to their core classes. Although better than no desired classes at all, electives do not count as core classes, and the entirety of their curriculum does not focus on a particular subject the way a major would. If students could receive the opportunity to further explore their career path before heading to their university of choice, they will hold a better understanding of their major. As a result, they will less likely want to switch their major in college and carry a greater understanding of their future

“I feel like I don’t have any motivation to come to school anymore because I already got into college and I don’t feel like I will really benefit from some of the classes I take. I’m majoring in business in college, so I feel like taking pre-cursors to those classes right now would help me more in the long run, and I wouldn’t be just coming to school because I have to, but because I actually want to,” magnet senior Allison Castaneda said. 

Society tends to tell high school students that senior year will serve as their best time in high school, and they will breeze through it. Depending on the curriculum requirements of the school, that does not always remain a reality. In numerous school systems, students can receive transferable high school credits in middle school, resulting in them possibly holding the ability to complete high school early or taking desired courses later on in their high school career. However, circumstances can differ; whether a pupil came from a private school and the credits did not transfer or a student simply could not take high school courses at that point in time, no student should suffer senior year.  Senioritis tends to kick in and students do not always reach their fullest potential toward the end of the school year, so this solution could possibly increase attendance and promote engagement with the class. Not only would high school majors prevent misery among a senior class, but they would allow students direction and help them map out their path to life. 

“I was so stressed last semester because AP Calculus and AP Literature were super hard for me. This semester is a bit easier but now I’m just tired and don’t feel like doing any of it because we’re almost burnt out and nothing really motivates me. I don’t hate the classes I’m taking now, I just tolerate them. I really feel like your passion for a subject will reflect in the grades and having a major where I’m taking classes that I care about will better motivate me to want to succeed in it,” Castaneda said.