JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown debut a surreal collaborative project

Courtesy of AWAL Recordings

JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown have formed themselves into catalysts within the experimental hip-hop genre, and fans only anticipated their efforts as a collaborative duo. When this album initially released March 24, 2023, it provided a stellar project with unique production and the amazing energy that quickly solidified itself as an essential album for experimental hip-hop listeners.

Ivan Mendoza, Entertainment Editor

Ever since American rapper JPEGMAFIA debuted under the alias Devon Hendryx and Danny Brown released his first album in 2010, both artists stood out as exceptional figures in the experimental hip-hop diaspora. With JPEGMAFIA’s abnormal production samples combined with Danny Brown’s nasally voice, several fans anticipated that their chemistry and energy would mesh perfectly together. Even with high expectations, the experimental duo still managed to surprise their fanbase with amazing music and memorable moments in their first collaborative album. 

The opening track “Lean Beef Patty” noisily reflects the album perfectly, as it includes glitchy and kaleidoscopic production along with aggressive energy from JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown respectively. The following song “Steppa Pig” once again exhibits astounding chemistry between the renowned artists: a song full of unexpected transitions and synths. With this project involving heavy production from JPEGMAFIA, every song meshes unorthodox samples with brash vocals. For example, songs such as “Garbage Pale Kids” open up with bizarre Japanese commercials that evolve into strange guitar riffs and captivating sounds. 

“I really like JPEGMAFIA’s diverse use of sounds and his creative usage of samples. I feel like it’s the kind of music that has new things hidden every time you listen to it without trying too hard,” magnet junior Leona Longhurst said. 

The title track “SCARING THE HOES” starts with eerie audio of clapping and ambiance, and out of nowhere, JPEGMAFIA opens the track with his verse alongside a distorted saxophone. This song remains unique for its several unexpected turns from different drum patterns to its fusion with Rock, Jazz, and experimental Hip-Hop. In addition to that, the track comes off as self-aware as the renowned duo acknowledges how people view their music as too experimental or undeserving of an aux cord. Their ability to include witty moments with genuinely amazing music impacts their song titles, with bizarre titles for tracks such as “Fentanyl Tester” and “Orange Juice Jones”. Alongside their titles, the experimental duo shares insane bars in tracks like “Lean Beef Patty”, where the entire album begins with JPEGMAFIA exclaiming his hate for Elon Musk because of Twitter Blue and feeling like Papa John.

Although the album initially held a great streak of songs in the first half, the latter half of the entire album resonates deeply with fans for its upbeat production, insane features, and better energy deriving from JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown respectively. Their magnum opus “Kingdom Hearts Key” acts as an accessible and energetic anthem for anyone regardless if they refer to themselves as fans of experimental music. From the beautiful production to Danny Brown’s nasal voice syncing with the unconventional sample to redveil’s vibrant delivery, this song remains a catalyst for any new listeners who may want to devolve into an experimental hip-hop listener. 

The following track “God Loves You” takes the listener straight to church with its mixture of gospel music and its absurd use of boosted bass. However, the lyrics comically contradict the religious tone of the sample as Danny Brown raps about sensuality and a hidden sample of Ski Mask the Slump God unexpectedly appears out of thin air. The twelfth track “Jack Harlow Combo Meal” contains a calming audio of a piano ballad fused with Danny Brown’s amazing verse. Despite the track title not seeming serious, the duo actually addresses serious issues within the music industry with their laments of not selling out and exclaiming how the industry prioritizes white people over their Black counterparts.

JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown always stood out in the music industry as unique facets for their witty personalities and unusual beat selections. When they first announced plans for a collaborative project, critics and fans alike became ecstatic about their potential but weary due to the lack of stellar collaborative albums in recent years. For example, albums such as “Her Loss” and “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” either came off as one-dimensional or failed to utilize two artists on a balanced scale. This album remains a testament to JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown’s careers, and fans cannot wait for their future endeavors as soloists and collaborators. 

“My overall opinion on the album was that it was goated. Danny Brown and JPEGMAFIA have amazing chemistry together since they’re in the same genre of music, and I still can’t believe that the two made an album together. I like that this duo has always been aware of memes made about them and they were able to utilize their humor for such an incredible album [sic],” McEachern High School junior Sergio Garcia Aguilar said.  

The Chant’s Rating: A