The bright side of social media

Valentina Gonzalez

Haters of social media should not portray it as negative platforms that constantly cause problems. Numerous positives to social media remain, which help people all around the world to connect and communicate. Social media brings joy and ideas of creativity to multiple people and overall continues to inspire the bulk of its users.

Valentina Gonzalez, Reporter

Invented and promoted in 1997, a social media network website called Six Degrees encouraged users to create their own profiles to interact with; this launched as the first social media website to ever exist. Since then, social media itself grew an enormous following of people who want to create, or join, new types of websites or apps. Even though there remain multiple critics and haters of interactive technologies, social media continues to inspire and help numerous people who at least offer it a chance.

Recently, reports made of certain social media apps, such as TikTok, caused the government to place bans and restrictions on social media, claiming that it gathers private information that no child should exploit themselves. However, if the problem includes children, then parents should create restrictions for their own kids, rather than the government enforcing them on users of the app.

“I think that the TikTok bans happening make no sense. The government and multiple parents are complaining that the app is taking over their kids’ lives. I think that if they have such a big problem with that, then they should be taking TikTok or even cell phones away from their own kids, rather than punishing everyone,” sophomore David Achamaja said.

Multiple social media apps benefit those promoting new businesses that need launching. Career opportunities even branch out from someone promoting companies or their own brand on apps and sites. Instagram influencers who sponsor other companies and products can receive anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on the sponsor type.

“I think that Instagram is one of the best apps created because of all the different things one can do on it. You can post pictures, talk to people singularly or in group chats and you can call or go on live with them. I think that anyone who has a problem with social media really has a problem with the social part of it, which can sometimes seem vulnerable to some. But there is usually always a privacy option for every account,” sophomore Kaylee Thomas said.

Social media surpassed expectations after it became especially interactive, fun and creative while it still improves people’s day-to-day lives by extending their communication with others for work or any personal interest. People seem to forget that one negative experience outweighs multiple positive experiences, especially regarding social media. At the end of the day, the people criticizing and complaining about social media frequently express their hate on social media itself.