Lingering lead emissions

Lauren Lee
After Richard Nixon created the Environmental Protection Agency to safeguard human health and the environment, scientists and environmentalists have pushed several laws to create a safe place for millions of Americans. One of these laws created through the Clean Air Act has banned leaded fuel. Certain aircraft, however, still use leaded fuel; Wednesday, October 18, the Biden Administration announced this issue after recognizing the public health risk.

In 1970, millions of Americans suffered severe health effects from lead emitted into the atmosphere, so in response, The Environmental Protection Act (EPA) banned lead from gasoline. The EPA, however, allowed lead in aircraft since plane engines do not support unleaded fuel. As a result, aircraft still use leaded fuel. Wednesday, October 18, the EPA declared that emissions from aircraft fuel have hindered the health of millions.

Children exposed to lead can receive irreversible effects such as damage to the brain and central nervous system, convulsions and death. Lead can also hinder children’s brain development, resulting in a decreased IQ. Health hazards have led the Biden-Harris Administration to question how long the environment and humanity can withstand lead emissions from airplanes.

A small number of personal aircraft use lead-based gasoline and produce lead emissions. Including them in the lead regulations is great so we can have as few lead emissions as possible. I am not sure anything can mitigate air lead emissions except not to fly these aircraft. Education and awareness are important in areas that have a large number of these aircraft – so if people live near airports, this would be important information. Blood tests can show if someone has lead in their blood,” AP Environmental Science teacher Julie Hopp said.

The Biden-Harris administration first posed this idea last year; under the Clean Air Act, the administration pushes to set new rules on what aircraft engines can emit. Typically, only more compact planes that fit up to 10 passengers can use lead fuel. Although these planes appear less prevalent than other aircraft, the emissions pose risks near airports; Americans who reside in poorer communities reside near these airports. As a result, the emissions affect over five million Americans, the majority of them children.

“Once we have lead emissions in the air, they can deposit into water and soil and on plants. Lead can impact plant growth and reproduction which could reduce global food supplies if there is a large amount. Children are at the largest risk – lead is a neurotoxin and can impair the development of the nervous system – the brain and nerves. Since children still have a developing nervous system, exposure to lead can be detrimental to brain development,” Hopp said.

The Federal Aviation Administration(FAA) encourages aviation industries to help relieve communities from the impact of lead emissions. Pilots can perform engine warm-ups and tests in highly populated areas. The Biden Administration continually works with aviation industries by assessing lead concentrations in the air near airports and evaluating the potentially exposed population to eliminate lead-based fuel by 2030.

Airport owners and operators can also take part in reducing lead in the atmosphere. Efforts include offering additional unleaded fuel types for safer transportation, decreasing engine idling time and run-up times of piston-engine aircraft and increasing distance between pre-flight. People can also place signs that discourage loitering in areas of high lead concentrations.