Soaring success of the NC volleyball team

Stephen Sansing
After decades of volleyball seasons, NC has failed to see a team quite like this year’s varsity volleyball team (42-9). This year, the Lady Warriors won a state title and built a family inside of their sport. As the student body attended every game and matched the dress theme to cheer on their Lady Warriors, the team received support from all of NCs students.

This year’s girls varsity volleyball team (42-9) shocked the Warrior Nation with a remarkable performance throughout this season. A lively pep rally held at NC Friday, November 3 and an entertaining tailgate prior to the championship helped the Lady Warriors secure their spot as first in the state after nearly a decade of not making it to finals. From their first match to the grand finale, the strong-willed girls forged enduring connections among themselves and fostered lifelong friendships through their shared love for the sport.

Under the guidance of varsity volleyball head coach Stephen Sansing, the team demonstrated commitment both on and off the court. Beyond the game, they dedicated extra effort to emphasize teamwork and provide their all in each match. Throughout the season, the team continued to grow and strengthened their abilities.

Before each game, the team unites and shares the collective belief that regardless of the game’s outcome, they will positively represent NC. The diligent girls celebrated victories and defeats with one another and remained positive and determined. During practice, the team would analyze their mistakes and help each other grow and enhance their skills. The team’s resilient attitude and compelling character led them to receive the chance to play in the state championship and win the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) 7A title. The team managed to achieve a handful of accomplishments, including their nineteen-game winning streak throughout the season and winning the state championship for the first time in 15 years. The NC students expressed their gratitude at every game the team played; fans who attended the game wore orange to show their support.

The season kicked off with challenges for the Lady  Warriors, as the first three games did not unfold the way as planned. Despite setbacks, the team dedicated themselves to collective skill improvement. The undefeated team gained trust and learned to seamlessly collaborate during games. A significant shift occurred as the team began supporting each other beyond scoring points such as supporting one another through mistakes.

“I loved our energy and how we collectively started trusting each other more and being more positive. As the season went on, the team started seeing the more positive you are, the more you win. We started a huddle to encourage each other if we made mistakes. Volleyball is a game of mistakes, all that matters is the next point,” senior outside hitter Nikol Antova (16) said.

The coaches played a pivotal role, not just in refining techniques but also in guiding the players on fostering proper team support and building healthy relationships. The volleyball team transcended mere sportsmanship, evolving into a resilient, tight-knit family.

“The biggest struggle was probably the mental part of the sport and getting our head in the game. Throughout the season we had adversity with chemistry and our mental toughness but as the season went on we worked so hard to become an unstoppable team. I’m so happy we came together to become state champs,” junior outside hitter Sarah Boyle (7) said.

Throughout the season, the team shared memories through laughs and tournaments. As the season came to an end, each player mourned the tournaments she once played each week. While the senior Lady Warriors who play on the team now will not play next year, they still express their gratitude for the endless opportunities and will continue to demonstrate confidence as a Lady Warriors forever.