Kennesaw saves A Day With Santa parade

Addie Hill
The tradition of Kennesaw’s A Day with Santa parade did not continue this year with the celebration on Main Street due to heavy rain. Seeing Santa, meeting Mr. and Mrs. Claus and listening to live performances from local artists moved inside the community center to allow the Christmas spirit to pulse throughout the area. The city combatted cold winter air and gloomy weather with indoor festivities, and children and families still enjoyed the event as it sparked merriment for the holiday season.

Each year, the City of Kennesaw hosts their highly-anticipated A Day with Santa parade. This year, however, the city canceled the parade, originally scheduled December 2 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., due to inclement weather. The parade route had planned to start on Park Drive and circle to Adams Park. Children and parents looked forward to the festive celebration as the city aimed to foster the Christmas spirit and cultivate a merry time for all of the attendees through various activities. However, the city revitalized the parade through creative measures.

Though all outside activities did not commence, the city still hosted indoor events inside the Ben Robertson Community Center. Storytime with Mr. and Mrs. Claus, photos with Santa and various crafts succeeded in rejuvenating joy, helping to lift the spirits of disappointed guests.

In years past, citizens would socialize and galavant about the Christmas decorations. Shops such as the Lazy Labrador Coffee House and Honeysuckle Biscuits and Bakery typically open doors for the crowd to escape the cold. NC’s marching band, color guard and Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) perform in the parade yearly, following Santa. Beside the parade route, local singers schedule live performances to provide entertainment.

“The parade has so many fun activities and you can do it with family or your friends. Typically, the parade consists of marching bands, floats, clubs, and even Santa’s sleigh. [The event has] food, crafts, and live entertainment that you can enjoy. There’s also a Christmas tree lighting at the end of all the festivities, not to mention pictures with Santa,” magnet junior Danae St.Hill said.

Attendees eagerly wait for Santa’s exciting entrance in his sleigh with Mrs. Claus. Santa, known for waving to the audience and responding to their cheers with jolly smiles, never fails to spark excitement among the watching children each year. Once he greets the merry congregation, eager kids will line up to take photos sitting in Santa’s lap and relaying their Christmas lists. Numerous families take advantage of the opportunity to capture photos of their children with the beloved St. Nick. 

As various events captivate the audience, Mayor Derek Easterling will prepare to light the tree that sits in the Plaza. Despite the parade cancellation, the city decided to reschedule the tree lighting to December 6 at 5:30 p.m. Kennesaw residents can anticipate a harmonious countdown as the tree lights turn on and create a magical moment for the crowd.

“Especially for children, Christmas is something that is truly magical, so doing these fun activities and taking pictures with Santa can be something they would look forward to. Because the parade was canceled, they will miss out on creating important childhood memories. I also imagine people who never experienced the parade before would be disappointed if they made plans to do so. I hope that next year will be different and the parade will be back and better than ever,” St.Hill said.

This tradition done in years past makes it a celebration the townspeople can look forward to. Despite the devastating cancellation of the parade due to the rain, Breakfast with Santa activities are planned to continue as scheduled. For those who do not celebrate Christmas, Kennesaw will host a Menorah Lighting Wednesday, December 13 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.