NC’s Posse scholar: Mariah Arnold

Tavoris Arnold
December 13, NC senior Mariah Arnold’s life changed forever; she earned a full tuition Posse scholarship to Texas A&M University (TAMU), unlocking a pathway to her dreams. Arnold’s academic journey remains a testament to her dedication and passion for law. She embraces this new chapter, poised to change the legal world with her commitment and boundless potential.

Located in the vibrant city of College Station, Texas A&M University (TAMU) opened its doors in 1876 serving as the state’s first public institution of higher education. This esteemed institution stands as a cornerstone of academic excellence, attracting students from around the United States. Of the 0.3% of Georgia residents who attend TAMU, one stands out in particular: NC senior Mariah Arnold. Her path took a transformative turn when she earned a full-tuition Posse Scholarship to TAMU through the Posse Foundation— a unique program emphasizing personal values alongside academic achievements

“I initially heard about the program through a family friend whose daughter was a previous POSSE scholar. At first, I was reluctant to apply due to the commitment of it being an early decision application, but after talking with my parents, we agreed that it wouldn’t hurt to at least apply and see if I hear back from the program. Out of the six POSSE schools, I felt that Texas A&M was the best choice for me because of its high-ranking Political Science department,” Arnold said. 

Arnold’s profound passion for law drives her to pursue a major in Political Science. She aspires to represent and advocate for those who lack the resources, money or knowledge to adequately navigate the legal world. By addressing the roots of criminal offenses among youth, she aspires to lower the recidivism rates in Cobb County. Through her involvement in Peer Court, Arnold delves into understanding the underlying causes of criminal activity including family background and mental health issues. She envisions developing a system with constructive sentencing measures to set juveniles on a trajectory toward a promising future.

Arnold’s role as the captain of the NC Mock Trial team and her active participation in Beta Club and the National Honor Society (NHS) reveals her dedication to academics. Her participation in Usher’s New Look and her role as treasurer in SkillsUSA highlight her diverse interests and leadership abilities. 

“My goal is to study to become a corporate lawyer. This interest in law sparked during my sophomore year of high school. I learned about the school mock trial team through Dr. Raegan, the former law pathway teacher, and once I joined the club, everything just clicked for me. Political science felt like the best major to pursue due to its wide range of legal studies,” Arnold said.

At TAMU, Arnold envisions seizing the array of law prep courses available. She plans to participate in the Black Law Student Association to form connections with fellow aspiring lawyers on campus. This association provides Arnold with the opportunity to dive into local internships while gaining practical experience in the legal field. Eager to excel, she intends to utilize LSAT prep, leverage scholarships and capitalize on additional benefits provided by the association, ensuring she smoothly transitions into law school.

As Arnold approaches the culmination of her time at NC, she anticipates her second semester of senior year with enthusiasm to savor every moment and memory. With a commitment to enjoying the fullest senior experience, she looks forward to participating in various senior activities, relishing the camaraderie of her peers and the unique traditions that mark this pivotal semester.

“I would like to thank my friends and family for being the backbone behind my accomplishments. I wouldn’t have the confidence to network with legal professionals or apply for prestigious scholarships and internships without their support. I am grateful for all the sleepless nights they spent with me while I wrote essays, searched for scholarships and applied for various law programs,” Arnold said.

The Chant extends heartfelt wishes to Mariah for continued success and fulfillment in her future endeavors, both at Texas A&M University and throughout her journey to reform the criminal justice system.

View Comments (1)