From talking green to Greenhouse Gang: highlighting NC’s lady warriors in science

Ciara Whimbush
Although NC holds a reputation for its appropriately renowned International Studies Magnet Program, it equally deserves praise for its successful encouragement of the field of science, predominantly through the women and girls that engender that passion. Both in and out of school, the ladies of NC showcase the cruciality of female voices in science. With club meetings, lesson plans or summer programs, NC women help fan the flame of the importance of female voices in this diverse field.

Since its creation in December 2015, the International Day of Women and Girls in Science has encouraged and engendered a passion for the vast array of scientific disciplines for females across the globe. Although the occasion only began nine years ago, the role of women in science has prevailed through centuries; through the historic calculations of aeronautics expert Katherine Johnson to the groundbreaking discoveries in tissue engineering by Nina Tandon, women in the field of science have graced the world with their tenacity and curiosity. Fortunately for the halls of NC, that same zest for learning exists. The love of science flourishes potently through the work of NC’s female teachers and students, which deserves acknowledgment and accolades from the surrounding Kennesaw and Acworth communities. 

NC offers a diverse array of science core classes and electives for students to engage with various disciplines. From Zoology with Sue Aughey to Honors Chemistry with Nena Tipppens, students explore several different avenues for exploring science classes and can do so with the encouragement of seasoned teachers. NC also offers four science Advanced Placement (AP) classes— AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science and AP Physics— to grant students accelerated classrooms and engender higher thinking. Out of the 19 science teachers at NC, 11 female educators hold the majority of the department, with Jennifer White leading as the department head. This prominence signifies a positive trend in female science teachers; according to Zippia: The Career Expert, women dominate 57% of science teachers in the United States. Considering the significant exclusion of women in the field of science during the history of the United States, the persistence of women in science at NC stands as an inspiration for the student body. Fortunately for all educators at NC, female students also aim to utilize that motivation to pave their own path in this fast-growing field. 

A plethora of science-based clubs have grown and flourished in recent years within NC’s halls, with several girls standing in leadership positions and founding roles. Organizations such as Science Club, Greenhouse Gang and EcoWarriors have expanded their membership and outreach to several students, and have done so through engaging meetings and excitable social media content. Excitedly, these clubs operate under the guidance of creative and curious female leaders at NC who each enjoy a diverse spread of scientific disciplines. 

While magnet senior Claire Isbitts, the co-president of Science Club, mainly enjoys biology, her club meetings include several scientific disciplines such as chemistry and physics. Senior Eladia Scott and magnet junior Citlalli Vela, the president and vice president of Greenhouse Gang, bring outside speakers into their gatherings to expand members’ perspectives. EcoWarriors president, magnet junior Isabel O’Connell, helps lead the club into becoming better citizens of the world by creating fundraisers and clean-ups in and outside of school.

“At EcoWarriors, we usually learn about an environmental issue/topic such as sustainability, ocean pollution, etc., and then do an activity or game. We are decorating flower pots at our next meeting and learning about sustainability. We also do a lot of things outside of club meetings like school clean-ups and fundraisers and are planning an Earth Day spirit week for this year,” O’Connell said. 

Women at NC with a passion for science also pursue the field in various ways outside of school. Magnet seniors Leona Longhurst and Kate Kunst attended the prestigious Governor’s Honors Program (GHP), majoring in physics and chemistry, respectively. Throughout their separate times at GHP, both young women received increased interaction with opportunities, projects and discussions in their chosen areas, which granted them unique exposure in a space where curiosity blossomed. During the summer of 2023, magnet senior Ndyia Onuoha participated in a program for students at the Georgia Institute of Technology, focusing on engineering and bumping elbows with professionals in the field.  Magnet sophomore Simran Kant seeks to educate the masses with her Instagram account, @simrantalksgreen, where she shares different ways to protect the environment, as well as productive ways everyone can positively contribute to protecting the planet.

“I feel like indirectly NC has also helped me because I have realized that there are so many women here at NC who also want to pursue a science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) major. For example, I am currently taking genetics this semester and I was genuinely worried that there wouldn’t be many women in my class but then came to find out that there is only one male in my class of ten people. Nine out of ten are women, including me. Seeing that only made my passion grow stronger,” Kant said.

The opportunities created by women involved in science stand as a testament to the leadership encouraged by NC. From Instagram reels to horticulture, a love for science continues to fester and expand. At NC, the options for women interested in science only continue and do not appear ready to slow down.