Scientista provides STEM field options for young, motivated females

Sophia Mapua, Reporter

In the last few decades, women have made strides in generating higher wages, more prestigious degrees, and increased visibility in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers. As more women enter scientific fields, more programs become available to aid students in these interests. Sponsored by the Scientista program, NC girls traveled to the Southern Polytechnic branch of Kennesaw State University on February 16th. The program promotes the expansion of knowledge about future opportunities available for girls in STEM fields.

At around 9:00 AM, attendees checked into the student center at KSU. Current female students, faculty, and staff members welcomed girls interested in pursuing a STEM career with an information session. Afterwards, an alumni panel discussed and answered questions concerning the variety of jobs available for female students in the future.

IMG_5842Sophia Mackey

“My favorite part about the trip was the tour because I got to see the campus. Also, my parents weren’t with me, so I got to tour it without them asking five million questions,” sophomore Rachel Cox, who plans to major in architecture, said.

KSU faculty members conducted a campus tour for the girls. As one of the 50 largest public universities in the country, the university encompasses multiple buildings for specific activities, such as a performance center to host musical ensembles and a book gallery aggregating a world-class collection of historical Western works.

“I found it interesting that all the speakers were women in STEM fields and almost all of the professors there had PhDs,” senior Laura Olle, who plans to major in civil engineering at KSU, said.

Staff members also emphasized the significance of a college student’s major. The main majors discussed originate from the Southern Polytechnic College of Engineering and Technology, College of Computing and Software Engineering, and College of Architecture and Construction Management. Incoming freshmen learned about admission requirements, financial aid, campus life, housing, and how to get involved in the community.

“I’ve always liked math and science and I really enjoy it. It’s dumb that people think women can’t do those types of careers. I think it’s good that there are programs like STEM that encourage women to go into science and technology and become doctors,” senior Amy Castranio said.

Afterwards, current students at KSU held a Q&A session for the students. Additionally, they discussed a parent’s role in college and how to maintain a stable relationship with them once they leave the house as they take the first step towards creating ample college memories and adulthood.

The skills development in STEM fields remains crucial to America’s global leadership and innovation. By embarking in fields of mathematics, technology, and science, NC’s young women will empower themselves through higher representation, while simultaneously promoting greater economic success.