An insight on GHP’s grueling process

Fatima Elfakahany

Junior Bethel Mamo passed the initial interview process and now moves on to the next one. “I’m happy that I have the opportunity to go to the other interview. I hope I make it and share my love of social studies with other people,” she said.

The stress begins to rise as NC sophomores and juniors ready themselves for their Governor’s Honors Program interview process. GHP spotlights bright individuals who wish to pursue their passions in many different categories, such as: communicative arts, science, mathematics, languages, and even drama.

For most students, preparing for the extended interview process proves the most stressful aspect of the GHP experience. Students have to prepare in different ways due to the variety of categories. One NC student, sophomore Julianna Isbitts, reflects on how she plans for her social studies audition: “I just stay calm and read a lot. I mainly read up on current events and went over multiple questions with my family.”
The decision-making for GHP auditions and which category to pursue can prove difficult for some people.

“I decided to try out for GHP because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. I’ve heard very good things from people I know that did it. I also love social studies,” Isbitts said.

Students who advanced past the first round of interviews for the Governor’s Honors Program were delivered to their classes, congratulating them and informing them of their next meeting.
Fatima Elfakahany

Despite the stress brought on from first interview, it only exceeds from there. If one passes the first initial interview, the county interview follows. If they get past the county interview, the state application comes next. If they make it that far, the state interview wraps up the entire process, with contestants finally receiving the knowledge of their pending acceptance statuses within the next two months.

“I made it to the program for communicative arts, and for my interview I just listed all the stuff I’ve done, went over it, and just prepared myself mentally,” senior Samira Parsa, who went to GHP in the summer of 2014, said.

People who went to GHP in previous years have only said good things about it: “It was the best thing other than being born,” Parsa said.

“It’s a whole new experience. It’s like college at how free you are. No tests, no exams, just all discussion based, which I loved,” senior Holden Haley, who attended this past summer for social studies, said.

Students this year who recently interviewed will soon receive either their acceptance or decline into the next step. Juniors and sophomores hope for the best as they cautiously wait for the interviewers to decide the student’s fate in the GHP process.