Students follow yellow brick road to Homecoming dance

Nadia Butt

The Homecoming attendees are bathed in a red light as they dance to the music.

Nadia Butt, Reporter

Young couples share a romantic moment to the beat of a slow song.

On Saturday, October 22, the main cafeteria transformed into the Emerald City so that the crowd of students could experience Homecoming night in the land of Oz.

“The kids have put in hours and hours and hours and have literally just made it their goal to make it the best homecoming ever,” Tribal Connections adviser Nishmin Porbandarwala said.

Four friends spend their homecoming hanging out on the dance floor together.

The night could not have happened without the tireless efforts made by  Porbandarwala and her Tribal Connections team. To pump everyone up for the finale of Homecoming week, TC planned a week of school spirit: Monday, they held the boy’s volleyball tournament, Wednesday revolved around the Screen on the Green and the cow drop, Thursday involved holding the parade and block party in downtown Acworth, and Friday they held the pep rally and tailgate party to bring out everyone’s school spirit for the game. All of this led to the Homecoming dance, where over a thousand people were expected to show up.

Two friends stand outside for a breath of fresh air.

“It was good. I liked it. All night, except for some portions of the night, I was spending time with my best girlfriend that I think I’ve ever had. I enjoyed my night.” sophomore Oheagi Childs said.

Music blared at top volume, audible to those even outside of the cafeteria. The sea of teens roared with approval as the dj played each new song. Many popular songs were played such as “Hotline Bling” by Drake, “Danza Kuduro” by Don Omar, and even old favorites like “Bye Bye Bye” by *NSYNC.

This ticket gave entrance to Emerald City.

Students responded to the dj’s charisma, as he worked incessantly to pump up the eccentric crowd. Lights flashed in the dim room lighting up the faces and bodies within the crowd. To keep everyone from getting famished, the NC culinary club provided drinks and desserts. The dance provided a fun experience for all students, full of dance, food, and friends.