Leaving on good terms: Mack Brown continues mother’s legacy

Courtesy of John Turner

Brown leads the band as they play stand tunes during the home football game against Northside High School.

Sarah Sutley, Entertainment editor

Just three weeks into his senior year, NC senior Mack Brown awoke to commotion, sporadic noise, and the sound of his dad frantically speaking to a 9-1-1 operator. Although he did not understand the extent of the situation in his sleepy state-of-mind, Brown realized while waiting anxiously for the ambulance that his mom faced a sudden onset of severe pain and difficulty breathing.

At the hospital, Brown recalls piecing together his chaotic morning to a nurse and waiting anxiously for any news from the doctors. The emergency room quickly became the setting of a life-changing experience, as a doctor steadily relayed the sequence of events. Brown’s mom had suffered a massive heart attack, falling unconscious seconds before paramedics arrived at their house. Unfortunately, doctors could not detect any brain activity once the ambulance arrived at Wellstar.

In a matter of hours, Brown had unexpectedly lost the woman who he described as his “go-to person.” Facing several instances of adversity in his life, Brown had always found comfort in his mother’s words. “The last words my mom said to me were, ‘Take your antibiotics, please. Have a nice day. I love you, bye!’” Brown said. “I feel like this is very representative of our relationship. She was always looking out for me and constantly assuring me that she loved me more than anything.”

Brown’s mom gives him a kiss at his birthday party, showcasing her unconditional love that exists throughout his adolescence.
Courtesy of Mack Brown

The senior formed a strong bond with his mom as a young child, despite their lack of a biological relationship. His parents shared his adoption story with him in his second grade year. Because the word “adoption” possessed a negative connotation in his seven-year-old brain, Brown remembers feeling upset after receiving the news. Fortunately, after thinking about the situation, he realized that nothing could change the dynamic or value of his family and quickly found himself at peace with his adoption. Currently, he remains conflicted with the potential to reach out to his biological parents. He resolves to make that important decision when older and more established.

“My family has been solid for as long as I can remember. I never saw my parents fight. My parents never even raised their voices. My family life has always been good,” Brown said.

Brown celebrates his first birthday with his adopted family and makes a mess, clearly enjoying his chocolate cake.
Courtesy of Mack Brown

The strength of Brown’s familial relationships allowed him to overcome several obstacles in his adolescent life, especially the willingness to accept his sexuality. He describes, “I have always known that I was a little different than other guys. Eventually though, I was able to realize that being gay does not change anything about me and that I can be myself without feeling bad.”

Brown’s mom quickly became his support system during his early teen years, asserting that she would always be there for him, no matter what. The immense amount of acceptance Brown received from family and friends allowed him to enter high school with certainty and confidence.

“Mack is definitely one of the most amazing people I have ever met. He is extremely supportive and is always willing to brighten someone’s day. You would never think he has gone through as much as he has, because he is always smiling and never lets his obstacles define him,” senior Makayla Johnson said.

Despite living in Wheeler High School’s district, Brown decided to apply to NC’s Magnet Program. He entered the School for International Studies with the intent of taking rigorous courses. In essence, he began preparing for college as a high school freshman. While currently holding a 3.7 GPA, Brown expects to complete nine AP classes upon graduating in the spring.

“Mack’s resiliency is definitely his most inspiring trait. No matter what is going on in his life, he always has a smile on his face and a joke up his sleeve. He’s one of the strongest people I know,” senior Brooke Shirer said.

Brown looks on as the marching band practices their award winning show, The Gift.
Courtesy of John Turner

After entering high school, Brown quickly became involved in NC’s marching band, currently standing as one of four drum majors in the nationally-recognized ensemble. He credits his directors and former band members for awakening a passion for music and leadership in him. He remembers the impact past drum majors made, whether as friends or role models, and wishes to leave a similar mark on the marching band. A love for people drives Brown’s plans to attend the University of Georgia next fall and to major in music education. Eventually, he hopes to become a high school band director.

“I am so proud that Mack has decided to pursue music education as a career.  He has the talent, patience, and charisma to become an awesome band director. He will instill the joy of music in the youth of America,” band director Greg Williams said.

Calling out the next song, Brown prepares to direct the band as they perform for the fans at the home game against Northside High School.
Courtesy of John Turner

A student beloved by his peers, Brown continues to remain strong and resilient in trying times. He labels family and friends, providers of constant solace, as the most important aspect of his life. Additionally, the senior displays the ability to draw positives from difficult events, allowing him to strengthen relationships and focus on his goals. Brown undeniably embodies the spirit of the Warrior Nation.

“The events I have encountered have taught me to cherish life and make sure all the people that I love know that I love them,” Brown explained. “It is important to never leave on bad terms with anyone and make sure to always follow your dreams.”