Why local shops deserve your business

Why local shops deserve your business

Philip Wynne, Reporter, Photographer

When most think about purchasing goods, they relate the thought to supermarkets, such as Walmart and Target. Unfortunately, the notion of supporting local businesses does not come to mind. Citizens might think up excuses on why to not support their local business, such as distance or cost, but why? Why is it significant to support local businesses?
Local businesses improve customer service by providing friendly service to all. These businesses tend to hire employees who are more understanding of the product they attempt to sell and employees who are willing to take the time to know the customers. This enables the customer to feel comfortable while at the business and lets the customer leave with positive vibes. The hiring of employees creates more jobs which enables local businesses to be the largest employers nationally, according to the American Independent Business Alliance.
Local businesses shape the community in a unique fashion. Where we shop, where we eat and where we enact transactions, makes our community home. These one of a kind businesses prove a distinctive character of their town. This provides tourism and allows it to blossom within society.
Local citizens invested in the community own these businesses. Since local businesses in town centers require little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services, as compared to nationally owned franchises entering the community, these citizens put your tax money to good use. When a consumer buys local, significantly more of that money stays in the community. In fact, one Chicago study by the AMIBA found that for every $100 spent at a local business, $68 remained in the city while only $43 of each $100 spent at a chain retailer.
Buying local foods benefits families in more ways than one. When one buys from local farmers, he or she accesses to fruits and vegetables that one knows remain chemical-free, as well as grass-fed meats, fresh eggs, and dairy from cows that feast on local grass each day. Benefits also exist to eating raw local honeys, which are thought to help battle allergies.

Supporting local businesses in a town allows benefits for the customer and the business. The customer will receive incomparable customer service from professionals in the area while the business profits and prospers, allowing even better service.  Next time one goes out purchasing a good, he or she should think about the improvements one will make for your community by supporting its locals.

Philip Wynne, Reporter

Philip Wynne serves as a reporter for the Chant and is a senior. He was adopted from Guatemala as a baby and before living in Georgia, he  lived in New...