Georgia State University mentorship program thrives at NC

Melissa Sagaseta

Meetings consist of Mentors setting goals for the mentees and seeing their progress along the way.

Melissa Sagaseta, Reporter, Photographer

With many hispanic students left in the dark on the college application process, the Georgia State University (GSU) Mentorship Program provides a guide for incoming college freshmen. Many of these students have foreign parents or ones who never attended college and cannot offer any assistance to their children. The program comes into effect here.

Once or twice a month, a group of highly motivated high school students all come together in the NC library for one single purpose: to get accepted to college. On the other hand, Mentors from GSU journey to NC to prepare eager young adults on how to get there.

“What the program tries to do is get the information and tools out there for our students to take advantage of. I can’t spoon feed anyone into college, but I can certainly remind my mentees that the opportunity is there for the taking,” GSU Mentor Natalia Chesser said.

Mentor Natalia Chesser explains SAT/ACT scores and how they play a role in the college application process.
Melissa Sagaseta

With only 14% of hispanics/latinos advancing and graduating from college, Chesser, with many others, seized the opportunity to bring that percentage up. The mentor’s initial task composes of delivering as much information and advice to the mentees so that the college application process goes as smooth as possible.

“I figured since I went through the process myself, I can explain it to students who are currently in the same situation I was in, and hopefully, increase the graduation statistics,” Chesser said.

Mentors and mentees work on setting goals and forming a plan to achieve them. Topics such as GPAs and SAT/ACT scores come up in every meeting, along with general college information. The program also grants the students the opportunity to tour college campuses to seek the right school for them.

“So far, we have given scholarship lists, insightful statistics, SAT/ACT dates and descriptions, and information about FAFSA. We also talked about goal-setting techniques and how to balance high school work with college application work,” Chesser said. “I want our ethnic community to flourish in a country that advertises the ability for everyone to become successful. I think this program is a step in that direction.”

GSU Mentorship brings hope to the ones finding their way to college. As the first year initiated at NC, the program shows staggering potential. Mentors and mentees conclude in the significance of mentorship and how helpful it becomes when speaking with someone who has first hand experiences.