NC lacks in mentors, runs into administrative issues

Leda Catak

The mentors of NC assist in the front office. They must be focused and motivated to finish tasks and benefit administration.

Leda Catak, Reporter, Photographer

As a way to heighten work opportunities, NC allows students to act as academic mentors for teachers or administrative mentors in the office. Beginning this year, though, the number of mentors fails to equal the number required to help all faculty, but no one seems to notice.

The problem could lead to disadvantages and potentially cause teachers’ worst nightmares: the amount of students per period. The number of students teachers instruct per class period affects the morale of teachers.

“I do not understand how I am suppose to go from having 15 students in one class and 35 in the next. There is just no way,” Honors Literature teacher Rebecca Zavala said.  

The numbers should not vary to the point of driving a teacher insane. They should balance out the amount of both the students and the teachers.

Furthermore, students may feel more comfortable speaking with mentors who mirror their age.

“With more mentors or tutors, I feel that more help is easily accessed especially for teachers – they sometimes need to make a lot of copies. With this, all of us benefit and teachers have more time to teach,” sophomore Ashley Bratton said.

NC teachers could save a sufficient amount of time if they can utilize students as mentors.

“If anything, there is too much supply and not enough demand for tutors. The NC peer tutoring program is teaming with student helpers. However, underclassmen seldom sign up for tutoring due to the innate awkwardness of the situation,” senior Logan Peng said.