The Chant triumphs at Georgia Scholastic Press Association Fall Conference

Students+from+across+the+state+attend+Georgia+Scholastic+Press+Associations+Fall+Conference+at+the+University+of+Georgia+in+Athens.+

Kat Shambaugh

Students from across the state attend Georgia Scholastic Press Association’s Fall Conference at the University of Georgia in Athens.

Rebecca Cantrell and Jacob Tutterow

To enhance their learning experience, NC’s staff of The Chant traveled up to Athens for the Georgia Scholastic Press Association (GSPA) Fall Conference on Thursday, October 27.

The conference offers a day full of hour-long seminars for journalists of all publication types, including yearbooks, newspapers, online media, broadcast, and literary magazines. University of Georgia professors and other journalism advisors host sessions covering selling ads to photojournalism to the best of news broadcast.

“I think the Photoshop class that I just took was the most impactful because we just learned a lot of cool things that we didn’t think about that we can use for our layout and will improve our site’s overall look,” Alpharetta High School senior Maia Gibson said.

While students attended sessions, judges evaluated publications and gave out awards. Each form of publication could earn Best Overall, Best Front Page, Best News Coverage, Best Opinion Coverage, Best Feature Coverage, Best Sports Coverage, Best Photography, and Best Layout. The Chant took home awards for Best Overall News Website and Best News Coverage.

“The most rewarding part about being a journalism advisor is seeing how your publication has grown and I am truly inspired to see what the students can achieve. This just inspires us to put out our best work,” The Chant advisor Lindsay Theaker said.

While the conference ran smoothly and students enjoyed themselves, certain sessions drew the wrong audience.

“I went to a session where the description said any publication member could attend, but its focus was more for yearbook,” Pope High School senior Alyssa Newell said.

Georgia publications will return to GSPA in the spring for an awards ceremony with  a chance to earn more trophies.