Sprinting out of the cross country season

The+2017+cross+country+athletes+worked+together+through+this+season%2C+winning+and+losing+races+and+beating+personal+records.+The+team+showed+off+their+exceedingly+fast+abilities+while+creating+lasting+memories.+
The 2017 cross country athletes worked together through this season, winning and losing races and beating personal records. The team showed off their exceedingly fast abilities while creating lasting memories.

Nati Duron

Nati Duron

Nati Duron, Photographer

The cross country team’s season showed how hard-working and strong the runners became from never giving up and allowing every athlete to showcase their talents at events including the Warrior Way 5k and State Championships.

“The season definitely exceeded expectations, met goals with boys and girls [by] going to state, and leaves room for improvement for next year,” Coach Huff said.

In August, the Cross Country Team experienced their first race at the Hoya Invitational at Allatoona Creek Park. The team started their first time trials of the season where junior Zach Mills, senior Anthony Graham, and sophomore Patrick Moran placed top three for boys, and senior Abby Jeske, junior Lindsey O’Neill, and sophomore Sydney Armitage placed top three for girls. The runners raced with teams from Harrison, East Paulding, Osborne, River Ridge, West Forsyth, Flowery Branch, Sequoyah, and Wheeler.

Junior Tess Williams joined cross country her freshman year and loves being a part of such an amazing team. Her love for cross country continued to grow with each race.

“Cross country this year was probably the best year for me. I met new people and ran the fastest I ever have. It was a great year and I can’t wait for it to start up again,” Williams said.

The cross country athletes continued to work hard to beat records from last year. Through races, meets, and practices, the team bonded and became a family.

“They’re training hard. Improvement will show over time,” Kim Mancuso, mother of senior athlete Marco Mancuso, said.

The runners worked together through this season, winning and losing races and beating personal records.

Nati Duron
This year’s cross country team worked hard to beat both team and personal records, making this season one of the best yet.

On September 16, the team showed their passion for cross country at the Warrior Way 5k, where families and friends joined and raced with the athletes. The race began at the Blue Springs Road stoplight and finished at the North Cobb track. Coaches gave out awards to the winners: fastest NCHS alumni, fastest NCHS faculty member, fastest NCHS student, overall female/male, and age group awards. The 5k brought the athletes and families together, making the parents feel more involved in their child’s activities.

“The Warrior Way 5k was really good. Everyone was anticipating it, so we were just ready to do it and have fun. I plan to do it again next year,” junior Anna Vickery said.

Through wins and losses and placing in the top six teams at Area Championships, the boys and girls varsity team made it to State Championships in Carrollton, Georgia. At this race, athletes win by accumulating the least amount of points, like golf. Therefore, first place receives one point, second place receives two points, and so on. The boys landed in 21st place and the girls in 19th place.

“This season was fun. I’m not heartbroken that it’s over because we’re a young team and I know that we’ll be even better next year. Racing with everyone was a great experience, the coaches were really close with us. They were always helping us with whatever we needed,” junior John Koroly said.

He plans to join cross country again next year.

The Cross Country team raced together to beat records and create lasting memories. As the varsity team raced to State Championships, the junior varsity team continued to work hard in hopes of attending the State Championships next year. The athletes of such a powerful and energetic team plan to show improvement, in hopes of racing to first place next season.