Boys lacrosse takes on second year of state playoffs

The NC boys Warrior lacrosse team played their last game against the Centennial High School Knights. The game ended 22-3, but the Warriors still remain proud of their accomplishment of returning to the playoffs for the second year in a row.

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton

Isabella Keaton, Reporter, Photographer

The NC boys Warrior lacrosse played their last game of the 2017-2018 season against the Centennial High School Knights in the first round of playoffs on May 2. Although the game ended 22-3, the Warriors never gave up in their efforts to play the team ranked fourth in the state.

“Even though we were beaten pretty badly, we still made it fun since it was our seniors’ last game,” junior Noah McKouen said.

Junior Miller McWilliams made the first score with an assist from midfielder junior Guillermo Ortiz. Although the team remained down by fourteen goals, McWilliams’ goal put the team on the scoreboard.

After McKouen won the faceoff and ran the ball to Ortiz, junior Shemar Samual scored an unassisted goal, the second point of the game.

“This was the biggest faceoff competition that I’ve had all season, but I still played well and helped my players score the goal,” McKouen said.

The Warriors ended the season with a record of seven wins and eleven losses. From beating the Darlington School Tigers 13-2, to losing to the North Paulding Wolfpacks 13-1, the Warriors fought hard to earn a playoff spot for the second year in a row.

The Warrior lacrosse team sends off eight senior players—as well as four senior managers—as they prepare for graduation. Determined to continue his journey with lacrosse, senior defense player Brice Grubb plans to attend Embry-Riddle University on a lacrosse scholarship while studying aeronautical science.

Even after the last game of the season, both head coach John Almy and athletic director Matt Williams remain proud of the effort put into all of the games and practices during the season and have high hopes for the team next year.

Isabella Keaton, Features Editor

Senior Isabella Keaton is features editor of The Chant as well as vice president of NC’s Theatre Thespian troupe 4225. Throughout her childhood, Keaton...