Succulents, orchids, vegetables, and more: It’s time for the Annual Greenhouse Gang Plant Sale galore

The Greenhouse Gang's annual plant sale for Mother's Day will take place from Thursday, May 10 through Saturday, May 12. All items stay within a student's price range and will make the perfect gift for mothers.

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff

Tara Anastasoff, Editor-in-Chief

Featuring a wide array of greenery, including flowers, herbs, hanging baskets, and potted plants, the Greenhouse Gang’s Annual Plant Sale for Mother’s Day will begin on Thursday, May 10 and continue through Saturday, May 12. Students, teachers, and members of the Kennesaw community can visit the greenhouse, located near the football field, on Thursday and Friday after school until 6 p.m. and Saturday afternoon from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m.

“I’m excited, my students are excited—we started planting all of this in January and it’s been a whole year process to make this work,” Greenhouse Gang adviser and science teacher Susan Aughey said.

For the mothers that love to cook, the Greenhouse Gang offers tomatoes, zucchinis, squash, onions, peppers, and a wide variety of herbs. This year, the club partnered with NC’s construction program to build pre-planted “Herb Boxes,” which feature a collection of essential kitchen herbs, that will be the perfect addition to any kitchen windowsill.

Isabella Keaton
These orange “Warrior” orchids will sell for $20, and the larger pink orchids will sell for $25. The plant sale also offers smaller white and light pink orchids for only $10.

“The orchids and succulents sell like hot fire, but if your mom likes to cook, I would suggest the Herb Box. If she wants to be the showstopper of the neighborhood, our tomatoes are already budding and fruiting and ready to be planted,” Ms. Aughey said.

In addition to the edible plants, students will find a beautiful variation of colorful flowers and garden essentials. While the plant sale will offer mostly plants, the club will also have unpainted bluebird nest boxes available.

Over the past five months, the Greenhouse Gang learned about companion plants, what kind of flowers attract hummingbirds and honeybees, and how to care for a variety of both indoor and outdoor plants. Through trips to local gardens, such as the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, the club used their experiences to become more knowledgeable about the world of horticulture. With 90% of the fifty types of plant varieties grown by seed by the club offered at the plant sale, it remains clear that the Greenhouse Gang’s hardwork and determination has paid off.

The Greenhouse Gang ensured that all prices stay within a student’s price range, with the large orchids only costing $25—the most expensive item available at the sale. At this time, the club only accepts cash, but they hope to offer a card payment option next year.

Isabella Keaton
The plant sale offers a wide variety of garden plants, including these beautiful and vibrant potted flowers.

If the beautiful pictures have not already peaked your interest, the greenhouse will open on Wednesday for a sneak-a-peek during third period for teachers to bring their classes to. The Greenhouse Gang hopes for an even more amazing turnout than last year and looks forward to seeing the community come into the greenhouse for their long-anticipated event of the year.

Tara Anastasoff, Editor in Chief/Photo Editor

A senior in North Cobb’s Magnet Program, Tara Anastasoff loves to learn new things, make connections with people, and shop for stationary supplies. When...

Isabella Keaton, Features Editor

Senior Isabella Keaton is features editor of The Chant as well as vice president of NC’s Theatre Thespian troupe 4225. Throughout her childhood, Keaton...