Car door to school door: Football players welcome elementary schoolers

Madeline Powers

Every home game, the football players wake up early to open car doors for the younglings at a variety of different elementary schools in the county. They bring spirit and excitement to teachers and students, impacting and touching their lives one car door at a time. “When I first saw them, I thought that it was a party,” first-grader Elizabeth Holt said.

Madeline Powers, Archivist

Every Friday before home games, NC’s football players help at local elementary schools to show their support for the community and act as role models to the children. At Baker, McCall, Big Shanty, Acworth, Pitner and Kennesaw Elementary Schools, the players smile, offer their hand to the child, help them out of their car, and walk them to the front door.

The players enjoy this interaction as much as the children and take away a sense of pride and a feeling of benevolence from making someone’s day just by opening a door. Players show a friendly smile and positive attitude to all the children and their parents, expanding the school’s outreach and encouraging them to come to the game.

“I love it because it gives the kids a great day and gives them something to look forward to, and they never expect us to be here so it’s the same reaction every week,” senior Christian Finch said.

The elementary school teachers all showed immense appreciation for the football players that come and help on the day of every home game. First grade phonics teacher at McCall Primary Melissa Powers described the interaction as heartwarming, making her smile every time a student showed even the tiniest bit of excitement.

“We had one boy come the other day and he was talking to the kids about making good choices. As they were coming in, he helped them pick breakfast cards and it made them excited about football, growing up and making good choices so they could play football [one day],” administrator at McCall Primary Kelly Stagich said.

The elementary school students excitedly talked about the football players and gave off an eccentric vibe, thankful that these football players took time out of their day to come and see them.

“I feel like they come here every year to support us, and I get excited when I see them, I even have my own little dance [I do] for them,” first grader Dane Spielberg said.

Principal Matt Moody made a good decision implanting this community outreach. He helped bring every person involved a new level of happiness, and proved that football players do actually have hearts.