NC Band and Colorguard compete in annual Southern Marching Invitational

Band members stare intently at the drum majors to stay on beat and march to the best of their ability. The second and third marching band competitions tested the groups technique as well as playing ability.

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp

Shannon Rapp, Arts & Entertainment Editor

NC’s Marching Band traveled to Sprayberry High School to participate in the annual Southern Marching Invitational on Saturday, October 20. The band performed their show Incandescence for friends, family, and judges and received extremely positive feedback.

“The Sprayberry competition was crazy, but really fun. I actually broke my marimba board, but overall I had a great time performing with people I love with all my heart,” senior band member Shelby Ruhl said.

With a rocky start to the day due to gloomy weather, the band’s spirits picked up quickly as the sun began to shine later in the day. A three-hour practice from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. solidified the band’s confidence in their show and made students excited to perform.

“I always look forward to practice; it was a great time to bond with my friends and learn new skills for color guard. It’s a place where I didn’t have any worries and focused on performing a great show,” senior color guard member Tanya Sourhino said.

Shannon Rapp
The color guard reviews their work every practice to ensure that they perform it well. The white flags they hold make their debut in the third act of Incandescence to represent the light that comes from within.

Upon arriving at Sprayberry High School, the band took time to warm up before taking to the field to perform. The band’s stellar performance resulted in the drum majors receiving first place overall, as well as first place in the 5A class. Also, the band as a whole placed second in the class of 5A from their high quality show.

“Competition is always a fun experience. We were all anxious to perform a complete show for the first time, but it shows that all the work was worth it when we got second place,” Sourhino said.

The band also attended the Atlanta Regional Bands of America competition on Saturday, October 27. Walking into preliminary competition, members held high hopes to make it into finals. Unfortunately, the band came in 15th place overall and 7th in their division.

As the season comes to a close, the NC marching band will continue to strive for greatness. Fans can catch their last performance of Incandescence at the last football game, where seniors will take the field for the final time on Friday, November 2.

“At the end of this season, I can say that the band has truly worked hard and is leaving a legendary legacy to be upheld for the members that come after,” senior drum major Niyel Fields said.

Shannon Rapp, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Senior Shannon Rapp, entertainment editor to The Chant, is a three year veteran on staff this year. With an interest in journalist writing, she joined...