NC baseball’s winning streak continues

NC+Varsity+Warriors+celebrated+a+win+against+the+Woodstock+Wolverines+on+Tuesday%2C+March+5.+%E2%80%9CWoodstock+isn%E2%80%99t+what+they+were+last+year+and+we+showed+them+that.+I+felt+good+during+the+game%2C+the+team+had+my+back+and+we+produced+when+we+needed+it%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+pitcher+Jonathan+Young+said.+

NC baseball’s winning streak continues

NC Varsity Warriors celebrated a win against the Woodstock Wolverines on Tuesday, March 5. “Woodstock isn’t what they were last year and we showed them that. I felt good during the game, the team had my back and we produced when we needed it,” senior pitcher Jonathan Young said.

Lainey Devlin

Lainey Devlin

Lainey Devlin

Lainey Devlin, Reporter, Photographer

NC’s varsity baseball team took on the Woodstock Wolverines to maintain their three-game winning streak on Tuesday, March 5.

Kicking off the first inning, Woodstock scored two runs. The Wolverines, with a 6-2 record before the Tuesday game, knocked NC’s baseball team out of the playoffs in the previous spring season. NC clearly came to redeem themselves for this game.

In the bottom of the second inning, sophomore Trevor Lovett sparked the fire with a run batted in (RBI) single, driving in Magnet sophomore Harry Ford from second base, inspiring hope in the team and spectators alike. The Warriors fought a losing battle in the first inning with the score at 2-1 until Ford scored the first run of the game for the Warriors.

The fourth inning began with a series of walks and hits by pitches. Magnet junior Joshua Dixon came up to bat with the bases loaded and laid down a bunt, tying the game. Dixon, along with Magnet junior Gavin Smith, provided two RBI hits in the inning, which contributed to the team’s overall win.

“The energy on the field was insane, especially since we played [Woodstock] last year and lost,” Dixon said.

Senior pitcher Jonathan Young pitched five innings, earning a win with five strikeouts and four hits allowed. Alongside him, junior pitcher Andrew Martinez earned a save with two innings pitched and one hit allowed.

“I felt great during the game, and I think our team was building off each other’s energy to have the momentum to continue to do good. We played great both defensively and offensively,” Martinez said.

The final score of the game, 7-3, meant the Warriors continued their winning streak with their fourth win in a row, accumulating to a record of seven wins and one loss this season. Winning against the Wolverines held great significance to the Warriors because not only did they defeat a state-ranked team with only two losses this season, it also provided an opportunity for redemption for the Warriors from their loss to the Wolverines the previous season.

“You learn a lot about a team’s mentality when you play great competition. You either rise to the challenge or run and hide,” head coach Tom Callahan said.

NC baseball fans wait anxiously to see how the team plays at their upcoming games Thursday, March 7 at Lassiter High School and Monday, March 11 at home against McEachern High School. The team will go on to region play next week, which will determine whether they will go into the playoffs for the 2019 season.

“With region play starting next week, we really need to improve our focus and did so tonight,” Callahan said.

As disappointed Wolverines left the stadium, the Warriors wished them well but celebrated their own dedication and success and the continuation of a now four-game winning streak.

Lainey Devlin, Reporter, Photographer

A sophomore at North Cobb, Lainey Devlin enjoys learning about anything. She enjoys knowing everyone’s opinion and why. She credits her love of writing...