Face to Face Learning as an Option in Cobb County School District

%E2%80%9CI+don%E2%80%99t+feel+like+it+is+a+good+idea+to+send+students+back+to+school.+First%2C+I+don%E2%80%99t+see+the+virus+going+away+anytime+soon%2C+and+once+school+starts%2C+social+distancing+won%E2%80%99t+be+able+to+function+in+a+school.+Second%2C+we+have+already+started+online+so+we+should+finish+the+semester+because+the+classes+have+already+been+scheduled%2C%E2%80%9D+9th+Grade+Magnet+Student+Morgan+Zitsch+said.+Cobb+County+students+and+parents+think+that+it+would+not+be+a+good+idea+to+send+kids+back.+COVID-+19+still+thrives+in+America%2C+which+means+students+should+not+go+to+school+regardless+of+what+the+school+district+says.+According+to+a+poll+of+the+nation%E2%80%99s+parents%2C+36%25+agree+that+their+students+should+remain+quarantined+until+there+are+no+longer+health+risks.+

Cobb County Schools

“I don’t feel like it is a good idea to send students back to school. First, I don’t see the virus going away anytime soon, and once school starts, social distancing won’t be able to function in a school. Second, we have already started online so we should finish the semester because the classes have already been scheduled,” 9th Grade Magnet Student Morgan Zitsch said. Cobb County students and parents think that it would not be a good idea to send kids back. COVID- 19 still thrives in America, which means students should not go to school regardless of what the school district says. According to a poll of the nation’s parents, 36% agree that their students should remain quarantined until there are no longer health risks.

Ren Lloyd, Reporter

Throughout the past three weeks, NC has experienced Cobb’s virtual learning system. Regarding the remote learning decision, Superintendent Ragsdale made a final decision on the 2020-21 school year. The 5th of October marks the beginning of Phase 1 of the “face to face” plan. According to Ragsdale, Phase 1 will include an option for the students and parents of North Cobb to continue the school year with remote learning or face to face learning within the walls of the school. Cobb plans to give students and parents the opportunity to make their decision beginning  8:00 AM on  September 7th through September 20th.

The set of phases for face to face learning includes Phase I: sending elementary, Pre-K, and Special Education students to school on October 5th while following all COVID-19 guidelines and regulations. Then Phase 2,  sending the middle school students back to school. Lastly, Phase 3 sends all 9th through 12th-grade students back to school.

If students chose face to face learning, they will: practice social distancing, require masks on buses and in school buildings, and provide sanitization stations so students can stay clean. Students need to be kept safe at all times and this can only be accomplished by following the listed guidelines on a daily basis. 

“We remain committed to making decisions based on public health guidance with student and staff safety being our top priority,” Superintendent Ragsdale said. This should reassure the parents of NC that Cobb County will make the best decision for their students.