Astronomy goes to the moon

With+excitement%2C+NC%E2%80%99s+astronomy+club+will+board+the+new+Apollo+11%2C+with+neighboring+schools+accompanying+them.+The+whole+project%2C+fronted+by+the+Space+Force%2C+will+remain+in+the+textbooks+for+its+monumental+effect.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+super+excited+for+the+whole+team%2C+whether+from+Space+Force+or+NASA%2C+it+was+really+just+a+team+effort+from+everyone+involved.+I+was+brought+into+this+barely+last+year%2C+and+I+already+have+such+a+tight+bond+with+everyone+around+me.+I+cant+wait+to+see+how+this+will+go%2C%E2%80%9D+freshman+Jacob+Wilkins+said.+

Nicolas Gomez

With excitement, NC’s astronomy club will board the new Apollo 11, with neighboring schools accompanying them. The whole project, fronted by the Space Force, will remain in the textbooks for its monumental effect. “I’m super excited for the whole team, whether from Space Force or NASA, it was really just a team effort from everyone involved. I was brought into this barely last year, and I already have such a tight bond with everyone around me. I can’t wait to see how this will go,” freshman Jacob Wilkins said.

Nicolas Gomez, Reporter

The astronomy club tends to remain unknown by most of the school population, but this will change when they take a trip to the moon. They plan to travel with NASA on a new Apollo 11 that they constructed in secret, with assistance from NATO member countries. Most of the current senior members, knowing about this most of their lives, kept the project confidential for the entirety of their high school careers. Trained since middle school, they prepare to leave this coming May, right after the senior graduation ceremony. 

Teachers describe astronomy, a course here at NC, as the study of celestial objects and phenomena. The class learns about night sky observation, the relationship between matter and energy and the structure of planetary systems. The club, affiliated with the class, has finally gone public with important information. 

“We usually went to the Marshall Space Flight Center every break to go through basic training, keep it fresh. It got difficult to go back and forth in secret, we had to post fake photos so no one from school knew where we were. It’s been a journey these past years, but now that it’s going out to the public. I’m really excited,” senior Erina Nakiri said. 

The head of Space Force plans to lead the class and club onto the spaceship along with astronomy teacher Chad Tally, and accompanied by neighboring schools’ astronomy clubs. The event, planned to be broadcast via CBS, will contain reporter coverage at the secret location. The principal knew of the event last week, leaving administration and staff shocked by the discovery. 

“I had no idea this was going on, but in the end, it leaves a good name for NC, and I’m proud of the club nonetheless. Being affiliated with an event of this magnitude is a great thing for the school, just leaving opportunities for sponsoring and more partnerships,” principal Matt Moody said. 

Difficulties started for the project over the past two years, due to COVID-19. However, early vaccinations were available for everyone, leaving time for productivity and less need for secrecy. However, this led to the reveal of the project. It started with someone noticing that sophomore Ben Robinson never showed up for hangouts with his friend group, making the entire group suspicious. When confronted, Ben Robinson relocated to Alabama with funding from the government. 

This exposure led to the project rushing and became set five years ahead of the original release time. This will result in skepticism about the whole undertaking, with lives on the line. Nonetheless, the school and Cobb county community hold great pride in the club, making such a momentous event affiliated with the county and nearby areas. The administration, in partnership with the superintendent, plans to hold a celebration commemorating this event. 

“I’m very proud of the group for this progress, what with COVID-19 and the political things going on in the world right now. The entire project ran smoothly, and I couldn’t be prouder,” Moody said. 

April Fools, you fool!

XOXO,